jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think that there should be a minimum turn out for an election to be valid

1. rafken profile image79
    rafkenposted 7 years ago

Do you think that there should be a minimum turn out for an election to be valid?.

In the US, Presidential elections, on average get 50% turn out, whilst mid terms get about 40%.

2. Jason R. Manning profile image84
    Jason R. Manningposted 7 years ago

While it might sound like a good idea, it isn’t feasible.  We cannot start deciding to void the voice of the people who engage in responsible citizenship, civic duty and execution of informed decision making.  It is a sad reminder of the lazy, me now, super size it society that America currently represents.  Great question.

3. weholdthesetruths profile image61
    weholdthesetruthsposted 7 years ago

If you were to establish a minimum, it amounts to telling those who DID participate, that their voice doesn't count if others don't add their voices.   

I would rather see a very low, but informed turnout to vote, than a very high, but uninformed turnout.   I've quit trying to tell people to "go vote", because if they don't care enough to do so, then their opinion isn't worth anything.   You can't improve the outcome of democrat processes, by dragging in the apathetic.

4. Freeway Flyer profile image93
    Freeway Flyerposted 7 years ago

No. In a democracy, people have a right to not participate. Also, this would create some practical problems, namely having to repeat elections (and pay the cost) if we do not get the adequate turnout.

working