jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Would you hurt someone or cross you moral line to get ahead in life?

1. profile image48
    jreyes_009posted 7 years ago

Would you hurt someone or cross you moral line to get ahead in life?

2. FloBe profile image80
    FloBeposted 7 years ago

No, which is perhaps why I have not achieved great financial success. My main emphasis was usually assisting others to become the best they could be and if I experienced success it was as a by-product, not the focus.

3. L a d y f a c e profile image78
    L a d y f a c eposted 7 years ago

No, I've had that path before me once before and I failed at stepping on someone to get further ahead. I think if I had, I would still feel bad today. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I did, but still know that it wouldn't have been worth it.

That being said, everyone is always doing that to some degree. If you have something, that's something that someone else doesn't have. When I take a job, I am leaving countless other people - for the moment - jobless. But there has to be a line between taking care of yourself and kicking other people out of the way.

4. Jillian Barclay profile image79
    Jillian Barclayposted 7 years ago

Quite simply, no. It is not worth it to me to get ahead if I have to resort to violations to my sense of ethics. People who hurt other people very rarely get ahead "in life". They may get ahead financially or in their careers, but those things are just a part of life. They count for little when considering honor or any legacy that you leave your children. Dishonorable people deserve no respect. If you have no conscience, then you are a sociopath. I have no desire to get ahead if that is what is required.

5. coolbreeze profile image49
    coolbreezeposted 7 years ago

Never life has a way of balancing you out. I have lost so many jobs and great incomes by being honest and unwilling to do things that were dishonest for capital gain. Everyone wanted me to just shut up and do what I was told to keep my job. I would never! If it isnt right it isnt right!
    Did I mention that I worked in Surgery for 25 years.

6. profile image0
    jasper420posted 7 years ago

never if you have to hurt someone to get ahead then it isnt worth it there are ways around this kind of thing

7. 100kbucks profile image57
    100kbucksposted 7 years ago

something which is always worth more than finances or material gain is your dignity... trust me.

8. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

I'm afraid that I might realize at a later date that I had done something like that.  It's easy enough for me to see that I've gone nowhere in life, so I must be innocent so far.

working