jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is there a line you should not cross when talking with others?

1. pstraubie48 profile image84
    pstraubie48posted 5 years ago

Is there a line you should not cross when talking with others?

Recently I was asked a very personal question that some may consider crossing the line of acceptable boundaries---something about a family member. I do not know this person well. What are your feelings on this topic? Is it okay to ask very personal questions of someone you may only know casually?

2. Cardisa profile image93
    Cardisaposted 5 years ago

There should be a line that should not be crossed.

I don't think it's acceptable to ask personal questions when you don't know the person well. If the person chooses to tell you stuff without prompting then that's a different matter.

I am always aware of people who tend to get too personal too fast. It seems they are fishing for something. I think a friendship should grow naturally without one pushing the envelop.

3. petenali profile image84
    petenaliposted 5 years ago

If someone asks what you deem to be an unacceptable question, all you need to do is say something to the tune of, "That's personal, I'd rather not say thank you."  Each of us have different comfort levels within a conversation, but we should all be able to say the above when that personal comfort level has been breached.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

No, I do not think it is appropriate to ask personal question of someone you know casually.

As the wife of a former pastor I had a lot of congregation members confide in me and so I have two rules, 1) I always assume whatever I am told is in confidence and not to be repeated.

and 2) I never ask personal questions because if someone is telling me something, they will tell me what they want me to know. I will ask questions like how are you doing with all of this?  or Is there anything I can do?

5. Andy McGuire profile image79
    Andy McGuireposted 5 years ago

You have to cross the line to know where it lays. The only thing you should keep in mind is, "would I feel comfortable being asked this question?"

6. penlady profile image61
    penladyposted 5 years ago

No, you shouldn't ask personal questions about someone you only know casually. That person's privacy should be respected. No matter how anxious a person is to find out something, they should mind their own business.