jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you as a fellow human being view human society as a whole ?

1. Muneer A. Saleh profile image58
    Muneer A. Salehposted 7 years ago

How do you as a fellow human being view human society as a whole ?

2. steve8miller profile image80
    steve8millerposted 7 years ago

I view human beings as greedy, egotistical, maniacal, selfish fiends. Most are intolerant and greedy only focusing on themselves. So human society as a whole reflects that. We are racing towards our own demise. I have written many hubs on the subject, great question!

3. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 7 years ago

Well, I think human society at this point in the earth's existence reflects a clash between Homo Sapien's basic animal instincts and his/her sense of enlightenment and reason brought on by a highly-evolved brain. The intristic desires to reproduce, acquire safety, and remain dominant over others is constantly at war with abstract concepts we've developed called morality, curiousity, and objectivity. Negative virtues, such as ambition and competitiveness, reflect primitive animalistic instinct. Positive virtues, like compassion and empathy, reflect enlightenment. Each person's life could be described as an endless battle between the brain and the body. Sometimes the brain wins and sometimes the body wins. Humans who have developed their brains their whole lives tend to be more enlightened. Humans who have developed their bodies their whole lives, but neglected their brains, tend to be more primative. We are very complex creatures. But an imbalance of wealth and power (caused by the reasons I just mentioned) has caused many societies to fall apart.

4. profile image59
    foreignpressposted 7 years ago

There is one small problem with this question. It's called genetics. We have within us an instinct to survive. It's also called self-preservation. So when times are good we're okay. We give to the less fortunate and are happy.
    But when times are not so good the instinct to survive kicks in. That's when it gets ugly. For example, it was after WWI and during the Great Depression that the Germans were in a bad way. The country was devastated from war, there were no jobs, and many Germans stood in soup lines only to be told there was no soup. Along comes Hitler who promised hope and change. Self-preservation kicked in and millions followed Hitler into WWII.
    I view our society as just another species of animal driven by instincts and self-preservation. That's why things will never get better. There will always be greed, lust and, especially, domination of one over another. We would like to change, but we're incapable of doing so.

Closed to reply

working