jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

when will we take the blame for the recession?

1. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

people are blaming the government for it but we let the government have this much power. if you new that bailouts and huge loans weren't going to help, isn't it your responsiblity to stand up and fight against it?

2. RodEccles profile image78
    RodEcclesposted 7 years ago

Ultimately it is "We The People" who are to blame for what our government does because we elect then re-elect those that do damage to us.  With that said, everyone is to blame, from government down to individuals.  Its called personal responsibility.  If we were, then people would not get mortgages they could not afford and people would not have credit card debt up to their ears.  And people would not rely on government to solve their own personal problems and issues.

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

Never! In America our favorite past time is "The Blame Game".
    Whenever anything goes wrong in our lives the search is on to find someone to blame. A woman puts hot coffee between her legs and burns herself (It's McDonald's fault). Really?
    Taking responsibility for one's own actions is Un-American! :-)

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

Excuse me for a second here, I agree with you completely in the spirit of your question; but you've failed to take notice that, so ironically, just one day prior to airplanes crashing into the accounting wing of the pentagon, TWO POINT THREE TRILLION DOLLARS were reported to be. . . . .um. . . . .MISSING!  So bailouts and loans be danged, what about the TWO POINT THREE TRILLION DOLLARS that came up missing just ONE DAY BEFORE airplanes crashed into the pentagon's ACCOUNTING WING. . . .and a few other places as well.

Something wicked this way blows.

5. Rob Hanlon profile image60
    Rob Hanlonposted 7 years ago

people are blaming the government for it but we let the government have this much power. if you new that bailouts and huge loans weren't going to help, isn't it your responsiblity to stand up and fight against it?

Good question nightwork, being in the UK I experienced the last recession in the late 80's and for a good few years I blamed the then Government - too much of a copout !
    You are right, it is an individual's responsibility to take a stand - though individual circumstances vary greatly and I feel for those people who, through no fault of their own, have suffered greatly as a result of other peoples actions.

Experience is a great tool, I hope lessons can be learned from this situation as I fear for future generations, let alone the present.

6. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 7 years ago

Why blame anyone?

Why not merely take 100% responsibility?

And why "fight?" There are many more effortless ways to correct a situation or a problem. "Fighting" frequently causes more problems.

7. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

just so people understand, i don't mean fight as in violence but rather in words and demonstrations. fight as in refusing to let your taxes go up while companies are abusing bailouts.
    if we don't take back our countries from the wealthy then we are in deep trouble and soon it will be beyond repair.

8. 6hotfingers3 profile image61
    6hotfingers3posted 7 years ago

The government is us. Each of us make up the government and we send people to represent us in the law making establishments of the country. The recession  we created is a by product of everyone trying to get a piece of the pie without having to pay for the consequences of our actions. Before we knew it, we had over extended ourselves as individuals. So we demanded the government representatives fix the problem we created. That's their job right? So we can blame them if they can't fix the problems we created. After all isn't that the reason we send them as our representatives in government?

9. Wayne Brown profile image83
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

You are correct. First and foremost, the American public was apathetic in its approach to legislation.  When Clinton forced the simplification of home ownership, he essentially forced the system to forfeit sanity in the name of opening home purchases to anybody desiring one by offering little paperwork, very loose credit requirements, and zero dollars down. This move threw open the gates for the industry to place a very large and inflationary bubble into the housing industry.  In effect, it created a "false housing market" which eventually collapsed on itself due to the practices in place.  That aspect of the financial collapse is still present and looming with no viable solutions around except a taxpayer bailout. In doing that, we basically penalize the taxpayer who has carefully bought their home and paid their mortgage and continues to pay their mortgage even though home values are slidding. The difference here is that some of us in America still believe that our word is our bond. if we said we would pay for it, then we will and we all knew it was a gamble to start with. Others are willing to throw in the towel at the first sign of trouble and scream for help because they have been a "victim"....yes, a victim of their own stupidity. As a public, we must guard against these programs in the future and make sure safeguards stay in place that offer a fair opportunity but retains some level of sanity.  By the way, thanks ever so much Mr. Clinton. WB

working