jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Do you do volunteer work for a charity or non-profit organisation?

1. MazioCreate profile image71
    MazioCreateposted 5 years ago

Do you do volunteer work for a charity or non-profit organisation?

If yes, what do you get from this work?

2. sadieanne profile image61
    sadieanneposted 5 years ago

Yup! I think it's important to give back to communities and act as a role model and mentor for younger generations. I volunteer with children (as you may have just guessed) and it's actually an excellent way to relax and be yourself.

Volunteering is win-win in my books!

3. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

Yes, numerous hours each week. Personal, hands-on work is the only way you can actually influence outcomes.

1. cat on a soapbox profile image97
      cat on a soapboxposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Being directly involved goes a long way in mending fences between disparate groups and gives better insight into other ways of life. It teaches us to seek commonalities, to be patient and helpful, and to understand and accept differences.

4. Beata Stasak profile image83
    Beata Stasakposted 5 years ago

In teaching job there are numerous hours after school you spend with students and their families that no one pays you for...for years I have been volunteering in choir for students with learning difficulties and performed with them all over...it is time I never forget, now I am upgrading my Councelling studies and starting to work as a volunteer-councellor....

5. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

I am not volunteering at the moment because I am still healing from complications of hip surgery ; however, I have been doing volunteer work since the early 1960s in many different arenas: working w/ the elderly and the disabled, leading an art group for teens w/ cerebral palsy, raising money for women/family shelters and the Children's Hospital, leading Girl Scouts, and being involved in my child's school. My husband and daughter periodically help pack and deliver food to the homeless downtown. My daughter has also worked at raising awareness on spaying/neutering pets and helped tutor children at a family URM shelter.  We all still make a point of regularly donating money or goods to help charities raise money.  Helping others w/o government mandate is something that everyone should make a point of doing. There are so many ways to get involved, and it is personally rewarding!

MazioCreateposted 5 years agoin reply to this

WOW! That is an amazing list of volunteering positions and I'm sure the organisations were pleased to receive your support and assistance. Hope the hip complications are resolved quickly.

6. kysstaylor profile image59
    kysstaylorposted 5 years ago

Yes I do volunteer for the domestic violence shelter very rewarding

I imagine at times it must also be very confronting as well as rewarding.

7. Tonyx35 profile image60
    Tonyx35posted 5 years ago

I volunteer at a Care Center/Food Pantry. Just a few hours each week, working side by side with friendly and far more dedicated individuals.

I get to see/learn about different, foodstuffs, how a warehouse environment works, helping to feed and assist my neighbors that come from all over the state. Like with all volunteer opportunities, it is also a chance to make new friends, and get a workout with all the lifting, walking, pushing, and packing that I do.

I think every hour from every volunteer counts. It is a two way street with the work you are doing.

working