jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should lawmakers in New York City ban crossing a street while listening to head

1. og104 profile image56
    og104posted 7 years ago

Should lawmakers in New York City  ban crossing a street while listening to headphones or talking

talking on your cell phone?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4605221_f260.jpg

2. the50marathons17 profile image83
    the50marathons17posted 7 years ago

No. Think of deaf people. They can still cross the street, and its the same thing as listening to headphones. Just my two cents

3. MikeSyrSutton profile image68
    MikeSyrSuttonposted 7 years ago

I would say NO. Public service announcements are as far the gov. should go.

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

no they shouldn't but if a person gets hit by a car when doing so, they should take full blame for their actions.

5. wingedcentaur profile image84
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

I would say no. The onus is more on the motorists, it seems to me, to be careful of pedestrians rather than for pedestrians to be careful of motorists -- for the obvious reason that the motorist, safely ensconced in her car has considerably more protection.

It is quite correct for talking on handheld cell phones while driving to be banned, therefore -- because such carelessness is liable to cause them to run down a pedestrian. A careless pedestrian talking on the cell phone is not likely to endanger the motorist in his or her car.

As MikeSyrSutton says, public service announcements (as far as cell phone using pedestrians are concerned) should suffice, I think.

working