jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

why does it matter??

1. profile image45
    bobsagetposted 7 years ago

why does it matter??

why should schools inforce unifoems i think they should be manditory because schools only want money..

2. Doc Snow profile image96
    Doc Snowposted 7 years ago

Huh?  In most cases--that I've heard of, anyway--the schools get no money from uniform requirements.  (The uniforms are bought from 3rd party vendors.)

The stated advantages are in terms of discipline, since distractingly sexy clothing, inappropriately 'messaged' clothing, gang-related clothing and so on are all ruled out from the start, without being singled out.  (One way to think of this is that it's simpler to say what *can* be worn than to say what *can't.*)  It also eliminates fashion one-upmanship and the cat-and-mouse brinksmanship games by kids who want to challenge via what they wear.

I'm kind of agnostic myself on whether school uniforms are good on balance or not, but these are the sorts of reasons that I've heard given, and it seems to me that they could be valid.

3. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

i doubt it has much to do with money. it is partially because some parents let their kids dress in ways that they shouldn't and also it cuts down bullying of poor kids due to the fact they can't afford the nice clothes the wealthier kids wear.

4. Loving_Life profile image57
    Loving_Lifeposted 7 years ago

I think its a good idea for schools (Elementary & High School) to want the students to wear uniforms.

Theres alot of bullys in both kinds of schools and that way if a family is poor no one else might know about it.
    And the kids can't be teased for wearing the 'uncool' clothes & shoes etc because everyone would be dressed the same.

5. Wayne Brown profile image84
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

It matters simply as a function of the relationship word "because".  If we did not have that word to establish the relationship of cause and effect, the possibly it might not matter. But since we do, the it does matter.  It matters....because....WB

working