If Mitt Romney Was A Bully In High School, does it matter if he bullied a presum

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Peter Leeper profile image60
    Peter Leeperposted 11 years ago

If Mitt Romney Was A Bully In High School, does it matter if he bullied a presumed gay kid?

If Mitt Romney Was A Bully In High School, does it matter if he bullied a presumed gay kid?  How will this affect his chances considering he has apologized for youthful pranks that went too far?

2. profile image0
    Phoebe Pikeposted 11 years ago

It really depends on how much the media will spread it around and how far he actually went with the "pranks". People take hate crimes very seriously and if he targeted a gay kid, and harrassed him, then it could really affect his chances. He doesn't really have much of a chance either way. He was originally a Democrat but then switched to Republican because it was more popular... he also had his own "Romney Care" which is basically identical to "Obama Care" but he denounces the current health system... he's a hypocrite and the voters know it.

3. lovemychris profile image74
    lovemychrisposted 11 years ago

Yes it matters.  It shows you who he is as a person. We all know bully's. All know people who make fun of others and don't mind hurting them physically and mentally. The guy is nasty through and through IMO...something is missing in him. Compassion. He's like a radio station tuned to the same channell...Me Me Me.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

If that is the case then absolutely it is wrong. But high school was a long time ago. I hope I am not blamed today for some of the ridiculous things I did as a teen.  Some of them are too embarrassing to mention and I am still red-faced over them. But I am a different person today.  This is not an endorsement of Romney but I would like to think that he is a different person today as well.

5. peanutroaster profile image64
    peanutroasterposted 11 years ago

It just shows that his attitude towards people who are different than him hasn't changes.  This is true for gays or poor people whom he also seems like to pick on.

Isn't it nice that he apologies now after the person he attacked is dead.  I'm not proud of everything I did as a kid but at least I remember those moments of bad decision making and feel a sense of guilt about them.  Romney apparently can't even remember these incidents so I guess they don't stand out as anything special in his mindset.

6. jcdelfinoiii profile image66
    jcdelfinoiiiposted 11 years ago

Twenty plus years ago, society was different, and homosexuality was more hidden and when it came out it was often ridiculed or treated with hostility.  It is possible Mr. Romney was one of the many who treated (suspected) homosexual kids with prejudice that was common in that day.  I think it is more important to look at where he stands on the issue now.  Weather or not you agree (accept) it, to bully someone for that or any other reason is wrong.  It is very possible that the man has grown more acceptable to the way people are and that he isn't so judgmental now.  Call it personal growth of character.  But if he has not it will soon become visible.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If his feelings have changed, and he does not give voice to that change, then he is a hypocrite.  We have only his words upon which to rely, and by that, he still feels as he always did; changes in society notwhitstanding.

2. peanutroaster profile image64
      peanutroasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And yet he has not.

7. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

Yes, it matters.
    No matter who you are, there are no acceptable "excuses" for bullying.  It is not okay, period, end of discussion.

If you dislike someone; disagree with them; disapprove of them for whatever reason, the only appropriate action is to walk away and leave them alone.

No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to interact with anyone else.  Just mind your own business.

8. feenix profile image58
    feenixposted 11 years ago

When I was in high school, I was a member of a tough street gang, I committed a lot of crimes, I smoked a lot of dope and drank a lot alcohol, and I was an all-around menace to society.

Yet, I ended up fighting for my country in the Vietnam War and advanced to the rank of Army captain; I worked in the insurance industry for nearly 40 years and retired as a high-ranking executive; and now I spend much of my time doing volunteer work to help the homeless, the incarcerated, and troubled war veterans.

Finally, I must say, Show me someone who is critical of a 65-year-old man for the  antics he pulled way back when was only 17 or 18 years old and I will show you a fool.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Unless that person still holds the same viewpoint; his current actions are verbal bullying.

2. feenix profile image58
      feenixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A whole lot of people in contemporary U.S. society need to grow up. They need to wake up to the fact that world is full of "bullies" that go by such names as al Qaeda, Taliban, Ku Klux Klan, Aryan Nation, Black Panthers, Crips, Bloods & Mexican M

3. peanutroaster profile image64
      peanutroasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Add the moral police to the list.  Catholic bishops.  Holier than Thou types.

4. feenix profile image58
      feenixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, no, no, the so-called moral police and "Holier-than-Thou types,' as well as the Catholic bishops, are not "bullies" at all. They are individuals who are merely standing up for the principles and teachings they believe in.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)