Should the U.S. government offer reparations to slave descendants?

1. edmondpogi profile image61
    edmondpogiposted 7 years ago

Should the U.S. government offer reparations to slave descendants?

2. My Esoteric profile image90
    My Esotericposted 7 years ago

Absolutely!  The Conservative counter-argument of let-bygones-be-bygones is ludicrous.  What slavery did to African Americans did not stop once slavery was supposedly abolished.  It certainly didn't stop discrimination, it remained in full force until the 1960s and it hasn't abated a whole lot since then.

While I agree African Americans have not helped their cause as well as they should, I can empathize somewhat.  When a class of people are purposefully kept ignorant by decree for 100 years of our history, then by economic discrimination for the next 100 years.  In many cases, it was a systematic discrimination by denying equal opportunity to quality education and in most other cases it was unintentional but just as dibilitating. 

When a whole class of citizens have been hindered by the ruling class of citizens, the ruling class has an ethical and moral obligation to pay reparations to the descendants who are still suffering the impact of the discrimination and violence that was inflicted on their predecesors.

For those who claim it is too late, that too much time has past, it is simply the African American's fault for not taking advantages available to them since slavery was abolished, all I can say is, you need to come off your drug high and start living in the real world.

When African Amercans have essentially have the same advantages as caucasians in America for a few generations, then come back and talk to me.

3. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

no they shouldn't. it's like in canada where we are continuously paying for what the government did to the native community 150 or more years ago. as long as we learned from our mistakes, that is good enough.