Should black people who live in the USA be given reparations?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (127 posts)
  1. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 8 years ago

Should black people who live in the USA be given reparations?

If so, who would get it?  All black people in general, or just those descended from slaves?  And what about mixed people, with one black parent and one white parent?  Or anyone with at least one black person in his or her family tree?  Who decides?

2. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7619162_f260.jpg

NOT AT ALL.  To Blacks who use slavery as a ruse to not achieve, succeed, & be the best they can be, start thinking positively.  Start taking responsibility for yourself & your families.  Believe in education, stop thinking that being smart is acting White.  Stop believing that being proper & acting like gentlemen & ladies are acting bougie or White.   In essence, stop being ghetto, hardcore, or thug.  That is not attractive & exhibit a negative stereotype of Blacks. 

Imbue success in every thought & action.  Believe that you can get out of poverty & become as successful as you put your mind to.  Read intelligent books on Black culture & civilization.  Read books & study positive Black role models such as Frederick Douglas, Booker T. Washington,  W.E.B. DuBois, Madame Walker, Martin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey & other illustrated, successful Blacks.  Know that you are SOMEBODY & act accordingly.

Don't accept the poverty, rescue/give me mentality & consciousness.  You are FAR BETTER than that.  Do not associate with negative people whether it is family members, peer groups, or friends.   Accept responsibility & accountability in your life.   Adopt a responsible attitude towards yourself, your sexuality & family.  Do not have children until you have educated & financially prepared.    Blacks DO NOT need reparations but to get themselves together educationally & socioeconomically!

1. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Good answer.  Preach it!

2. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, I am so sick of the slavery ruse to explain Black underachievement in the educational & socioeconomic spheres.  C'mon, other people were oppressed but they refused to let the oppression preclude them from success!

3. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Grace...You GO girl!  That is a PHENOMENAL speech.  Send it to every school, group, agency & organization in the country.  It's perfect for all who use "EXCUSES" to blame others for their own lack! EVERYONE...not just the black complainers! !!

4. Nick Bishop profile image58
      Nick Bishopposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Im sick of the whole issue of black people and compensation they need to get a life other races haves suffered too but do they make a fuss?

5. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"You want to end carried interest loop-hole?....WAAAAAAAA!!"

3. tsadjatko profile image65
    tsadjatkoposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12756657_f260.jpg

Interesting question, let's ponder the question of reparations.

If you stop to think that any descendants of Africans who had been enslaved by the Atlantic Slave Trade and who want to receive some form of compensatory payment wouldn't even be alive or in the USA today were their ancestors not brought here as slaves it begs the question is reparations actually fair. Is just money really the fair answer?

Were their ancestors left alone in Africa not only would American descendants never have been born, if they could have been they would likely have been subject to slavery in Africa or possibly made slaves of other tribes in Africa as happens there even today. They certainly would never have had access to the freedoms and prosperity they have had for generations in this the greatest country in the world today (no Dr. Carsons in Africa today)

Maybe a better solution would be to offer reparations under these conditions:

Anyone who takes reparations must give up their American citizenship and give up all material and professional wealth they have acquired as US citizens and the constitutional rights they have in this country and be repatriated to the country their ancestors came from. It's a choice, the Democrats believe in choice right? Does Dr. Carson (and other accomplished blacks) really need reparations?

Seems only fair to me. If I buy an expensive item and decide It's defective I can get a refund of what it cost me (reparation) but I still have to return the item, don't I? I'd love it if they passed a law that says if I am unhappy with an item I bought I can keep the item and get my money back (plus shipping too). Why don't they? Well I guess they figure when I have all the benefits that go along with my US citizenship in the free-est, safest country in the world I don't deserve to have my cake and eat it too. I wonder, if I pass the item I bought on to my grandson and he is unhappy with what I bought will they let him return it too simply because he is my son? Not likely! Yeah, that's a law I want passed.

So don't think I'm not for reparations, I just think the way they want to do it may be patently unfair, but I still have an open mind on the subject.

1. profile image0

Excellent answer.  Another thing I was thinking was, where would this money come from?  Isn't this country in debt as it is?

2. lovemychris profile image76

What's the picture of Obama for? Reparations talk has been going on a long time...you wouldn't put Bush there like that would you? I don't recall Obama mentioning it. Careful FOB: Your slip is showing.

3. profile image0

Yes, this country is heavily in debt, and with us all on the brink of WWIII, I think we have bigger problems.

4. lovemychris profile image76

Well good thing we're all free o think as we want. Why do YOU think he put Obama there w reparations money? And war= debt. So a whole lot of Americans don't care about debt!

5. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sandie, the picture of Obama is of him laughing about being given money for reparations because HE HAS STATED HE IS AGAINST IT - you'd know that if you looked at the link of the 9 blacks who are against it but as usual you don't pay attention.

6. lovemychris profile image76

Well u should give him kudos then. All of u who bash him on the regular.

7. tsadjatko profile image65

But he doesn't agree with you. If he were Bush you'd be bashing him for not agreeing with you, YOU should be bashing Obama but you can't because you zombielove him. http://gopthedailydose.com/wp-content/u … 00x197.jpg

8. lovemychris profile image76

I bash Bush because I think he was in cahoots 9/11. And if I was like you--Id call you all America haters because you bash the president. And you don't support the troops because you don't support the prez. And why don't you move to Dubai?

9. tsadjatko profile image65

Soby yourown admissionYOUbash Bush solely because of a debunked,wacko911conspiracy theory while I bash Obama based on indisputable facts,his documented habitual lying to the face America,failed policies&unconstitutional acts.LMC,HERE'S YOUR SIGN!

10. lovemychris profile image76

LOL. You got nothing on BO. Just Fascist propaganda. 9/11, Iraq Invasion, Torture, Patriot Act, Haliburton, Blackwater, Tax cuts for rich:Ruined economy!, Christian mixing with governing, sell-out to religious right, Dick Cheney. DynCorp. Daddy Bush.

11. tsadjatko profile image65

I repeat, "So by your own admission YOU bash Bush solely because of a debunked, wacko 911 conspiracy theory."

12. lovemychris profile image76

Did u not get the whole list? And if u want to play repeat game, how u feel about people of Germany paying reparations to holocaust survivors? These people didn't do it, right? What you got on Obama? Can't be something all Pres do.

13. profile image0

Germany is paying the survivors of the Holocaust, yes. But there are NO survivors of slavery, they are all dead.  You can't prove Bush was responsible for 9/11.  Some say it was Clinton's fault--depending on who you talk to.

14. lovemychris profile image76

Survivors family are still alive.They should receive it as inheritance-just like slave owners descendant do.And that is your opinion on 9/11.MANY people disagree w u.And what about the other things?Iraq,Torture,Patriot Act, Haliburton, Blackwater,etc

15. tsadjatko profile image65

No the question is Did u get the whole list? Did you get that the whole list, your psychotic list, is all part of a debunked, wacko 911 conspiracy theory which you admit defines your world...God help YOU..

16. lovemychris profile image76

Oh god is w me I am sure. You see, I don't pretend love while spewing hate. And u r right. All of Bushes horrors lead back to 9/11. What u got on Obams? 3r d time.

17. profile image0

Why do you say Tsad is spewing hate?  Where are your sources about Bush being responsible?  Don't you think he's got his sources on Obama?  Many people now could tell you millions of things Obama is doing wrong.  Go on the internet and look it up.

18. tsadjatko profile image65

See,Lolita it's like I said,zombielove for Obama https://www.committeeforjustice.org/con … nistration To ask what I got on BO as if the informed world doesn't know goes to show lmc is out of touch

19. lovemychris profile image76

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/c … quot;Ultra Conservative" Yeah, I'm gonna believe them..NOT. In fact, I believe your version of the truth as much as you believe mine. Oh, and I have just as many supporting my views as u do.CHECK

20. profile image51
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Great Question Lolita, If you want to "stir up mess" (Satan)! 
      Are we not ALL ONE IN CHRIST JESUS?
      "So the first will be last, & the last will be first" (Matt 20:16)!  Where does that leave others?

21. tsadjatko profile image65

@LMC there are people across the political spectrum condemning President Obama’s actions https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct … hXJTCYKHZ9 shown evidence al

22. profile image51

TSAD: "WHOEVER" (Dems r Repubs) is in ofc is the way GOD intended whether you like or not for Scripture will be "fulfilled" (Rm 13:1-3)!

23. tsadjatko profile image65

My comment got chopped but what I said was LMC when shown facts she doesn't like to hear resorts to attacking the messenger.As far as God is concerned I doubt very much that you know what God's intentions are when it comes to elected officials.

24. profile image51

TSAD: I believe HIS WORD!  He controls ALL! So yes, I "know what God's intentions are when it comes to elected officials" for it's in HIS WORD (Rm 13:1-3)!

25. lovemychris profile image76

I don't know how many times I have to say this: Don't care what Obama has done, is doing. I'm calling on Justice for Bush before just "moving on". And I did not say tsad spews hate.I said I don't, and  call it love.If he can relate to that-notmyprob!

26. profile image51

Why did u even bother w/this question!  Can't u see she was "inciting" this reaction? (Wish my son in law hadn't responded.)  It doesn't matter what 1 thinks of the flesh! Don't be deceived!

27. lovemychris profile image76

Sometimes it's good to draw them out. I'm not worried about the flesh, I'm worried about the soul of this nation. These people are bringing her down to perdition. The inciters need to be identified, and fought at every level.

28. profile image0

Elected officials like Obama don't care about God and have their own agenda.  The only people bringing this nation to perdition are Obama and the liberals with their race baiting and divisive ways!

29. tsadjatko profile image65

LMC for one so concerned about racism and hatred why don't you say something about the fact the entire Obama Admin is filled with ‘Left-Wing Marxist Jew Haters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad0QwAputmo You love Obama, you've said so many times

30. lovemychris profile image76

Maybe y'all haven't noticed-lot of people are tired of Zionists. I love that BO hasn't groveled at Bibi's feet like your guys and gals. But Beebs still gets what he want: our tax money and our weapons. And reparations r OK for them, not us.That's ODD

31. tsadjatko profile image65

Once again you demonstrate ZOMBIELOVE for Obama (who has done nothing to help blacks) If you really feel reparations are just you you should applaud that  the Jews get reparations from Germany, but you resent it because U are a jew hater

32. lovemychris profile image76

Slanderers-R-Us. Hubpages, USA. Actually, I think Africans are just as entitled as Jews, and wonder why you don't. But really--I think I know. Just would love to hear it from your own claws, err I mean fingers.

33. Sgt Prepper profile image61
      Sgt Prepperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The very first thing you people need to realize is that slavery was already a thriving industry in Africa long before Columbus was even born. And it STILL exists in Africa.  Slave-traders did these people a major favor just getting them out of Africa

34. profile image0

I agree with Kevin.  LMC, leave the past in the past, or how can you move forward in the future?  People need to remember the bad, but move on and make sure it never gets repeated.

35. lovemychris profile image76

Lovely. The second people can stop calling me a Jew Hater because they're stuck in the Holocaust. And the second people accept that this is the 21st century, not the 18th. People have freedom from Religion. Stop trying to enslave US!

36. tsadjatko profile image65

If people call you a Jew hater,it sounds like many do the way you say people,it has nothing to do with the holocaust or anything other than the words that spew out of your own mouth. "Enslave us?" U obviously suffer from a persecution complex.

37. bluesradio profile image57
      bluesradioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if you can attribute race baiting to the Democrats alone...I have seen a whole lot of race baiting from Republicans over the years both Federally and definitely in NC......

38. tsadjatko profile image65

Race baiting is not just a practice of Democrats.Using fear and race-polarizing agitation to drive minority voters to the polls is the overt face of the Democratic Party. They can’t win any other way.You can't say that about the Republicans!

39. bluesradio profile image57

I live in NC so yes I can say that race baiting and other tactics have been used heavily here where the redistricting plans are nothing but an attempt to curtail minority voting...and where certain issues are addressed to go after white votes...

40. tsadjatko profile image65

Well if it is so prevalent show me just one example reported on in media which should be easy to find on the internet - Something like this http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 … /?page=all

41. lovemychris profile image76

The people who call me Jew Hater are Zionists, such as yourself. And  Christian Fanatics, who think the end time is coming. It's slander and defamation of character, and you're lucky I don't care enough to do something about it.

42. tsadjatko profile image65

Really lmc?You don't have a clue & never take responsibility for your statements,everything is always somebody else's fault.u refer to these people?http://aclj.org/religious-liberty/nothing-fails-like-a-freedom-from-religion-foundation-lawsuit

43. profile image0

Nobody is race baiting these days like the Dems and the Liberal Media.

LMC: 1.The end is coming.  We've been in the last days since Jesus rose from the dead. 2. Calling one a Christian Fanatic is defamation of character too. Glass houses...

44. lovemychris profile image76

I refer to no group.I refer to the individual human being, who has the right and obligation to live their life as they see fit:Not conform to someone else's version of reality.Wrong is not right cause you like them, and a fertilized egg is not person

45. profile image0

LMC, you were once a fertilized egg...so think about it.

46. tsadjatko profile image65

If an egg isnt a person then when does a baby become a person? When it becomes a teenager?Or is a person a person when he becomes an adult,or what does an adult become when he gets old and needs a kidney,a heart?A person begins as an egg.

47. lovemychris profile image76

When the woman says so. Sorry you don't like the way God designed it. I suggest you focus on your own life, and leave strangers alone. A woman you don't know has no bearing on your life whatsoever.

48. profile image0

"When the woman says so"  That's about the most absurd argument I've ever heard.  Pretty sad, actually.  Is that the best you got, really?

49. lovemychris profile image76

What other possible answer is there? When YOU say? When the church says? No-when the person whom God gave the power says, finito!

50. tsadjatko profile image65

When the facts say, of course U are not one who listens to the facts. The fact is no person exists without having started as a fertilized egg, without which there can never be a person, therefore it is a person. To believe different is denial

51. profile image0

Once life begins forming, life begins.  No human has the power to declare when they think it should begin.  Take God out of it, Okay?  Nature says that when cells begin to form, life has begun.  Now we can say Finito.

52. lovemychris profile image76

Really? Can it breathe, dance, laugh, say stupid things? No--it's a blob, like the srambled eggs you eat in the morning. Sorry.it's nothing special unless a woman allows it. God decrees, not me.

53. profile image0

Umm..yeah...Tsad is right.  You really don't have a clue.

54. tsadjatko profile image65

By u'r reasoning a baby is not a person unless whoever cares for it after leaving the mother's womb allows it to grow&develop after born?A baby still needs to be mothered,nourished and raised it cannot live on it's own so it's not a person?

55. lovemychris profile image76

It's a person if allowed to grow in the womb.The one with the womb is already a person, and as such, has the right to make that decision. It does not affect you in the least. You have enough to worry about with your own life, don't you?

56. tsadjatko profile image65

You said "it's nothing special unless the woman allows it" So why does that change once it is born?it's still up to the woman to allow it to live,can't live without her care.You just want to be able to hide behind your womb to commit murder.

57. lovemychris profile image76

You are equating a group of tissue to a human being, so you can hide your control issues about women.Seriously, if men had babies,this would not even be an issue.Of course, we would allow men to make the decision for their body& lives, but not wo

58. Sgt Prepper profile image61

Slavery was already a thriving industry in Africa long before Columbus was even born and still exists on that dark continent today.  If anything the slave-traders did these people a major favor rescuing them to England, Spain & the Americas.

59. tsadjatko profile image65

LMC,I'm not going to say it again,you need help,please get some,copy this Q&A,take it to a psychiatrist ask him/her to read it&then ask them what they suggest.If u are lucky Obamacare will pay,if not u can still get an Obama phone if u hurry

60. lovemychris profile image76

Men are jealous of women, its cool. In fact, its expected in this age of the ram. But we are moving into new age. Female energy this time will dominate. Sorry boys, you wont get to anymore. We will see things from yin  side of equation, and act so.

61. Sgt Prepper profile image61

Between Social Services, AFDC, food-stamps, welfare and the penal system seems reparations owes the U.S. gov't a very sizeable refund.

62. lovemychris profile image76

Most people using social services, afdc, etc are WHITE. Penal system benefits prisons-for-profit, cops, lawyers and all the sundry food, phone, tv's, extras to be bought by prisoners at huge mark-up. Like everything money touches, its evil.

63. Sgt Prepper profile image61

51% could be construed as "most" and Hispanics are Caucasoid(white).

64. lovemychris profile image76

No, I'm talking white white. Makes sense, as they are largest race here. And the poorest states and the ones who take most from federal gvt are Republican. You see, they believe in profit over people, and would love to sell their whole country off.

4. profile image0
    Jayfortposted 8 years ago

Short answer: no.

Long Answer:

There is no one living today who was a slave or a slave owner. Those truly harmed by slavery are, sadly, long dead. Those who caused harm are dead as well.

So who would pay these reparations? The slave traders and owners? That would start with those who captured the free individuals and took them to the slave markets...Africans, Arabs, and Europeans. Right? Some would say our government. But our government has no money that is doesn't first take from its citizens through taxes. My ancestors never owned slaves or dealt in the slave trades. Millions of other people's ancestors were also innocent of such involvement. Why should the descendants of the innocent pay for the crimes of the guilty who are dead??? I thought we weren't supposed to visit the sins of the father upon the child.

Tsadjatko hits upon the final crux of the matter. Those living here in the US today would not even exist had their ancestors not been brought here. A mathematician recently calculated the odds of one humans existence as trillions to one against (and that was on just the fathers side). Each of us is the genetic culmination of our ancestors lives and intersection with the lives of others. If just one of my ancestors is removed from the equation, I (that which is uniquely ME) would NOT exist!

It is the same with the descendants of those who were enslaved and brought to America. They are the culmination of the intersections of their ancestors' lives here in America, not just Africa.

Finally, would reparations erase the past? Would it make all the hurt go away and bring peace? No. What purpose then do reparations serve but another opportunity for one political party to buy the votes of African-Americans.

1. tsadjatko profile image65

You make me lean in your direction. Shelby Steele says "it is yet another demand for white responsibility, when today’s problem is a failure of black responsibility http://atlantablackstar.com/2013/10/08/ … parations/

2. profile image0
      Jayfortposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Indeed, Tsadjatko!

3. profile image0

I agree with you 100%!  My great grandparents came here from Sicily circa 1920.  They were poor and had no slaves.  Should me and my family being paying for stuff others did?

4. profile image0
      Jayfortposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Precisely, Lolita!

A woman did painstaking work documenting family wealth that was gotten thru slave labor.BIG money.Railroads, plantations and such.The inheritors of this wealth can pay those whose family worked for it.Slaves were all documented.Kept track of property

6. profile image0

I wouldn't hold my breath.

7. lovemychris profile image76

Oh trust me, I'm still waiting for Liberty and Justice for All...and I'm white! We'll just let your God take care of it. The first shall be last and all that....and given the way people act when they have it all...heaven help us when they lose it!

5. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 8 years ago

No, my ancestors were here before the white man came and drove them off THEIR land.
    But, then some folks want/demand they receive reparations, from whom?
    People they do not know or understand, from people who were more abused than they?

1. profile image0

Right!  If anyone deserves reparations it is the Native Americans...but you don't hear them complaining,

Nope...the estates that got rich off them. Plain an simple.

3. Nick Bishop profile image58
      Nick Bishopposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Agree totally

6. Keino C profile image59
    Keino Cposted 8 years ago

As one of the "black people" referenced in the question.

My answer is no...

I find Lolita Monroe very passionate about this topic. As if she is responding to something other than the question she asked.

I, no no one I know that are black ever entertained the thought of receiving reparations.

@Jayfort,
    you are right. A lot of time has passed. Both criminal and victims are now dead.

@Sandie,
    I admire your sense of justice. I think the the worst thing was slavery was essentially "approved" by the State. It's hard to break shackles when the country you reside in is the ones keeping them on. Things are different now, way different. I like to believe we are in a time where we get recorded according to our hard work. Yes, there is a lot of "old" money awarded to privileged people that was perhaps earned through slavery but what can you really do about that? Like you implied, every dog will have it's day.

@Grace
    You list successful black but those are of the verity that were mentally strong enough to break that mental slavery. I still don't think there's anything anyone needs to do. I don't believe in handouts and I think you feel the same way smile The playing fields are more or less level now. And I am eternally grateful for that. I wasn't born in the US, but I have lived here for 14 or the 27 years I have been alive. I had the opportunity to get an education, got an awesome Job, an awesome wife! I purchased my first House at age 26 and i'm currently working on my 2nd business [the first didn't work out, but i'm stubborn anyway wink] So, from an Immigrant, African-American, I hope this was insightful at least. A voice from the other side, dare I say: "The dark Side" smile that's a joke by the way.

To close, In the words of T Sad, "[i] earned it. So can anyone!"

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

A++++ answer, esteemed sir!

So, your ancestors were not slaves in America. You would not be  included in reparations anyway.

3. Keino C profile image59
      Keino Cposted 8 years agoin reply to this

True, they were not slave in America. The were however slaves somewhere else.
      Additionally, the question states "Black People who live in the USA"
      Although irrelevant, I don't think old segregation laws care where I'm from.

4. lovemychris profile image76

No, but the point is, they kept records of who they owned. Reparations can be tracked in a direct line. And I for one,would love to see it.

5. Keino C profile image59
      Keino Cposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ok I see your point.

To compliment your argument I would like to add:
      The compound interest on a day laborer's wage over 250-400 years times a few million day laborer is a price not may can afford. So yea, just calculating the damn thing sucks.

6. lovemychris profile image76

Wouldn't have to pay compound.How about a college education for a descendant?How about  trust-fund for future generation?Honestly,I can't believe anyone with a shred of decency can disagree!Personal Responsibility anyone?Wealth from free labor-pay up

7. bluesradio profile image57
    bluesradioposted 8 years ago

If there was a way to get the forty acres and a mule (modern day translation car or bike), it would probably level the playing field but how would it be administered would probably create quite a quagmire of a situation.   
    There is no doubt that several decades later there are still issues of racial injustice in our society...and these need to be addressed but there is also no doubt that most African Americans are totally separated from their homeland and have no idea where they came from?

1. profile image51

True!  All we have is "word of mouth!"  I have no idea of the tribes of neither African nor Indian decent or my Irish roots, but I believe "It's not where you came from that matters but where you're going!"

8. profile image51
    Norine Williamsposted 8 years ago

We should keep in mind that amalgamations must first be adhered to before ANY and ALL reparations are made to any persons that God has allowed to be " KISSED BY THE SUN ". Somewhere between the words Rent and Own, Preparation and Reparation, 40 acres and a Mule, The Black Man's Oasis, and Land to Hand has suddenly taken a life of its own. Please understand that this is not a test question or a decision for just anyone or everyone to decide. This is not a reward or a severance package as many seem to have equated with it. This is a earned right that has been atrociously destroyed over years but more importantly the bodies of mine, ours and your ancestors. A simple drop of blackened blood blesses you with history you could never imagine. It opens you to a world of a untold land that was garnered, molested, tortured and held captive to a people that it was never given. So yes, if you should be   descended from slaves,mixed or  born into a multi-cultural family, Reparations are your inheritance that you were never given.

An answer from my son-in-law not Mrs. Norine as one can tell by the terminology!

9. Besarien profile image74
    Besarienposted 8 years ago

No, and I know of no one still waiting for his 40 acres and a mule. As a black woman of mixed race the best anyone in this country could do for me and my family is to treat us just like anyone else. I am for equality for everyone not reparations for a group. Let the past be the past. Let's all do whatever we can to make the future better for everyone.

1. tsadjatko profile image65

BRAVO You are a true American!

A better future for slave descendants would certainly be to let them share in the profits wrought by their ancestor's labor! A true American believes in an honest days pay for an honest day's labor.

3. bluesradio profile image57

One if my favorite songs is Imagine which sings about this utopia and I hope it comes true one day but I also xo not mind things that level the playing field.  Favor affirmative action and equal educ.

10. Nick Bishop profile image58
    Nick Bishopposted 8 years ago

As horrible as slavery was I think reparations is not the answer because once you start something like this where will it end?  Native Americans too could also argue this and rightly so, theft of land and ill treatment at the hands of European - Americans.

1. lovemychris profile image76

Yes, exactly-well and aren't we so concerned about insurgents in other countries? I say the US gvt has to live up tp all its promises and treaties. Let the shoes fall where they may. At least we'd be in integrity, and the curse of corruption be off!

2. JohnDGleissner profile image72
      JohnDGleissnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The practical problems of distributing reparations make it logistically prohibitive.  Who would receive it and how much would they get?  Who would pay it?  Should the descendants of Union soldiers have to pay?   Payment without work ruins society.

3. lovemychris profile image76

No, not soldiers...private families and business that can prove got rich off free labor. Their descendants have profited from it: descendants of slaves should too.Impeccable records kept.Not that difficult. Pay commensurate with amount of estate/biz

4. tsadjatko profile image65

If you think reparations would be distributed according to imaginary "impeccable" records you are in a fantasy world. It would just be considered another gov't freebie with the same amount of fraud.Just google "Germany seeks Holocaust Fraud"

The ones getting the freebie were the Good Ole Boys....time they pay up. Gals don't count: they were property.

11. Sgt Prepper profile image61
    Sgt Prepperposted 8 years ago

Even though my own ancestors arrived at Ellis Island long after the Civil War and Little Big Horn my heart goes out to all these people of color who for some reason have a difficult time being productive citizens.  The only programs that seem to help them are welfare and the correctional system.
    So I took it upon myself to contribute to reparations in my own small way and gave a small amount of cash to a black female hooker to help support her habit.  All she really gave me for thanks was THE CRABS.  So I did my part.

1. lovemychris profile image76

My god, the glory and majesty of the Lord you spread is just amazing! halleluyah brother....preach!

2. Sgt Prepper profile image61

FYI Sandie, I voted once for Alan Keyes and I am hoping birther Trump picks Dr. Carson for his running-mate if the Bush-family & Clintons let The Donald live that long.

3. lovemychris profile image76

Call the NAACP...maybe you can get an award! You deserve it...never have I seen such love for your fellow man.

4. Sgt Prepper profile image61

I left out that I also voted once each for George Wallace, David Duke & Pat Buchanan.  Populist underdogs are my bag.  The Nat'l Association for the Advancement of Colored People don't need my help.  They've still got Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson &

Yeah, but they have a great cure for crabs. Praise Jesus!

6. bluesradio profile image57

Do you find it ironic that the prison population and the school dropout percentage do not match the overall minority population.  Sounds like some things need major fixing.....

7. lovemychris profile image76

Yes--more whites do drugs, more whites on food-stamps (DUH--more whites period) But, less whites in prison and hardly ever whites called welfare queens. It's a CON-un-drum.

12. profile image50
    uzairpagamerposted 8 years ago

As a 12 year old genius I would say definitely no to black people to think of it black people are sometimes life savers

1. Sgt Prepper profile image61

Yeah like the time Archie Bunker got blood donated by a black lady.  Fact is despite the proclivities of some subcultures we are all descendants of the one blood of Adam & Eve and members of the human race.

2. bluesradio profile image57

Which of course means we all started in Africa..,

3. profile image0

All in the Family---funny show!

4. bluesradio profile image57

Lived that show as well as spinoffs like Maude and the Jefferson's....

5. Sgt Prepper profile image61

Laugh if you want but "Barney Miller" was the most realistic cop-show on TV at that time.  Barney Fife not so much.

6. bluesradio profile image57

Baretta and Columbo were also very realistic back in the day, as was Perry Mason and Streets of San Fran if we want to go way back.....

7. Sgt Prepper profile image61

Another VERY realistic TV-show was "The Invaders" which represented the ETs we now face in these last-days.  Reptilians, grays, insectoids & fallen angels.  Pink-slime is people.

13. Brinafr3sh profile image79
    Brinafr3shposted 8 years ago

The "40 acres and a mule" was a plan to give, due to slavery. But Lincoln was assassinated before it could happen.

14. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

To say that the child of wealthy African immigrants gets reparations paid by a poor white whose family never owned slaves is utterly unfair.
    It is denies the price already paid - 600,000 mostly white men who died to end slavery, unique in human history that one group fought to end slavery of people who weren't part of their tribe. Slave rebellions were always personal, saving family or tribe members, not a war to free people not your own.
    Reparations to blacks assigns a generational guilt to an entire racial group - all whites in the US - when only 1.4% of whites at the time owned slaves, and many more came in the decades after the Civil War.
    To say the blacks today get reparations from someone whose family came through Ellis Island is insane.
    Ignoring the blacks who owned slaves, Native Americans who owned slaves, the black Africans who sold other Africans into slavery is immoral. But too many kids think slavery was uniquely whites owning blacks. Never do they read about the Muslims who owned slaves and treated them so badly that though they imported ten fold (or more) blacks into Muslim lands, the death rate was so high you see almost no sign of the black blood. Nor do you read about the Muslims taking white Christians slaves, which led to the "shores of Tripoli" line in our anthem. Slavery goes back to the Bible, without any regard for race, and it is immoral for us to keep harping racial divisions for what was a universal institution until Christianity challenged it in the 1800s.
    If we compare Kentucky versus Ohio, Kentucky remains dominantly agricultural compared to the industrious Ohio. Why? Slavery led to lower productivity in both the white and black populations. And that is why you had expansion of paid wages even when slavery existed - the workers worked harder and longer when they benefited from it.
    Getting into inter-generational demands is greedy and evil - I want money, I'll guilt trip you for things you didn't even do, give me money and I won't hate you. Jewish groups defended the grandchild of a Nazi seeking public position, saying don't punish this woman for things her infamous relative did - and blacks want to go back several more generations.
    If we want to talk about slavery reparations, let's rescue the Yazidi and Christian girls held by ISIS as sex slaves and how they and their families can be made whole.

1. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image59
      Dont Taze Me Broposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Best answer I've ever heard to question of reparations!The evil that Isis does is blood on the hands of Obama because he called them the JV & he alone could have destroyed them long before they became the Varsity had he left troops in IRAQ.

15. TaureanRobinson profile image63
    TaureanRobinsonposted 7 years ago

Yes. Other ethnic groups have received reparations.  Jews (for the Holocaust), Native Americans (for their practical genocide), and Japanese Americans (for being put in detainment camps in the 40's).   Why not African Americans for slavery.  Heck the Obama administration approved $12 million of aid in 2015 to assist Holocaust survivors! In addition, there is an entire government agency created to serve the needs of Native Americans, which is called the Bureau of Indian Affairs.  All of these groups have gotten reparations, but African Americans, who were largely responsible for building this country and making it an economic power it is today, have not received any. 

America will not even consider the thought of even examining the issue of reparations (or for that matter the continued psychological effects of slavery and institutional racism).  Congressman John Conyers brings forth a bill every year to establish a commission to study reparation and reparation proposals and every year it is ignored.  Shame on America.

1. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image59
      Dont Taze Me Broposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Ur answer sounds reasoned but u don't begin to address any of the problems with reparations http://townhall.com/columnists/johnhawk … a-n1867139
      They got it,why not we not an answer

2. Say Yes To Life profile image80
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Regarding the Bureau of Indian Affairs - I read about it in "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee". It is EXTREMELY corrupt. This is not reparations; t was the problem! Blacks on welfare is better reparations than that!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)