jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Does America have the ability to overthrow our own government in a peaceful mann

1. mylife=adventure profile image61
    mylife=adventureposted 7 years ago

Does America have the ability to overthrow our own government in a peaceful manner?

With our Country not fairing so well and pretty much heading in a direction that is not the best. Is it crazy to think maybe we could take our country back and turn it back into what it used to be. Or even try to create something new that could make us a number one world power again?

2. profile image0
    Iraqvet32posted 7 years ago

The Declaration of Independence states, "whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it." I take that as meaning we have the inherent right to remove and replace our government. To use a peaceful manner, voters would have to actually get educated on the candidates and basically throw out every incumbent that is currently in office. Of course when the people attempt to upset this order, it is possible violence could be an outcome for the simple fact they want to remain in power.

3. mylife=adventure profile image61
    mylife=adventureposted 7 years ago

That's information I didn't know about the Declaration of Independence. I agree and it is sad that if we were as a country try and upset the already set order that we would end up turning to violence.  Really really sad.

4. Wayne Brown profile image84
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

In a matter of speaking, we can clean house with the ballot box as long as elections are conducted fairly. When we clean house, normally we shift the entire attitude of those in service and America sets a new course. This is as good or better than a revolution because we do not have to reinvent government or the principles of it.  We have some very significant documents in the Declaration of Independence, The Bill of Rights, and The Constitution.  These documents form the centerline of what is the essence of the American government. We wander too far left and right of this center but these documents should always be what brings us back to where we are suppose to be as a nation. This is the genius of our founding fathers and we should guard it with our lives and our votes. WB

working