How many people think that Bush is going to unilaterally invade Iran

Jump to Last Post 51-100 of 106 discussions (155 posts)
  1. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image63
    C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years ago

William, that's the opinion several of my friends have as well. Once upon a time, (not so long ago) it would have seemed far-fetched to say that an American president would try something so underhanded, but I honestly wouldn't put it past Bush & Company.

The  question becomes, then, if it comes to that,  do Americans have the guts to stand up for our democracy, or do we just let it happen? I like to believe he wouldn't get very far if he pulled something like that, but I just don't know.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

Misha, you said they consider the good of the people second - whereas I think a lot of them put the good of the people fourth, fifth or sixth, after their cronies in business - or don't care about them at all.

The other thing I wanted to disagree with is that I think you're wrong to say Bush couldn't be that stupid.  He's the son of a very powerful man, and has been groomed by his father from a young age to take on the mantle.  He's been surrounded from the beginning by a close knit group of his father's advisers, all telling him what to do. 

On the limited occasions when he has to speak for himself, rather than spouting the words given to him by those advisers, you can see how totally out of his depth he is.  I'm sure that's why as soon as he became President, he slashed the number of press conferences drastically so the press could rarely get to him.

The policies he's been putting in place are his advisers' ideas, things they've been planning for years, and they're using their puppet President to put them into practice.  It's well known they were looking for an excuse to invade Iraq long before 9/11. 

I'm not an American, this is just what I've observed, so the Americans here can feel free to shoot me down in flames.  But it looks obvious to me.

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

lol I did not mean second literally, I meant their interests - be it family, business, whatever - go first, and all the rest after this. You missed my point though - we all more or less do the same at work. Me, you, everybody. Our interests first, work interests second. Politicians are not unique in this.

I don't know him personally and therefore cannot conclude on his level of intelligence.

I'm not sure I (or you or anybody on this thread for that matter) will appear smarter than him when forced to speak publicly.

His primary job is not entertaining the public, but rather ruling the country, and those jobs require different sets of skills.

His advisers are also human, and I apply to them all what I said in this thread before about rich people and politicians...

3. stubbs profile image64
    stubbsposted 16 years ago

America scares the s*** out of me and I'm sure i would be even more so if i lived there. it appears everyone apart from US goverment and media knows there is an extreme danger of America collapsing in on itself, becoming an even more war mongering, money grabbing and rougeish 'state' than it already is. I don't mean to offend any Americans, every American I've ever met has been nothing but friendly and intelligent but are either paranoid or naive neither two are bad things when your goverment keeps you hidden from your countries real troubles by covering them up with wars, talks of new wars and glitzy media. Anyway rant over, england isn't much better.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

Gotta go and do some real work!  I'm really interested to read your opinions, Misha, because everyone's views are coloured by the culture they grew up in.  So I wouldn't have expected you to have the views you do, which is why it's so interesting to discuss this with you.  Wish I could stay and talk about it some more!

5. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

Well, you certainly won't lose me as a fan simply for having a different opinion, however I don't buy the whole thought police thing.   No one gets to tell me what opinion to have.  Soz.  wink

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Idunn, if you are talking to me - I can't understand your remark sad I know it breaks the fun, but I need an explanation then... I did not say anything about thought police, and I did not try to convert you wink

1. profile image0
      Iðunnposted 16 years agoin reply to this

ah, I'm not trying to break up a good debate.

however, what I am saying is that basically you're judging me for judging others which is kind of ironical. 

ok, take tolstoy.  in resurrection he makes a pretty good case about how the underclasses can't be judged, no man can be judged, because circumstances like poverty and inequality actually caused the crimes, not the individual.  that's pretty non-judgemental.

however it is impractical.  it's like saying to a serial murderer, let's take Jeffrey Dahmer.  "well gosh, I can't say what you did is wrong or bad, or judge you, so knock yourself out".

and you could go by that, problem with not defining rigt or wrong with stuff is that you lose all your rights we think are inherent, such as the right to ...live... maybe.  or to have your stuff not stolen, etc etc.

your turn. :p

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

You are asking good questions, Idunn. I was having a hard time trying to answer them. This is the first time I'm putting my thoughts on this matter on paper, so it may be - umm - raw...

I? Judging you? I would appreciate the quote wink I can't remember judging anybody in this thread - but I'm definitely not free of judgment myself, at least not yet smile

This pretty much boils down to the thing we agree on - responsibility for own deeds/misdeeds. Responsibility in a sense that you meet consequences of what you've done - whether in this or in any of the subsequent lives. However, me calling those people bad will be judging in my current understanding. I can say they hurt other people - and this will not be judgment. I'm not sure if this refers to judges by job, though - this is the thing I did not think through yet.

Well, with rights I'm pretty much sure they are just an illusion. Isn't draft a violation of one's right to live - universally accepted? Does that mean that right to live is conditional? That state decides whether to grant you this right or not? And if this basic right is conditional, how other, dependent on this, rights could be not?

8. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

see, this is what I'm trying to figure out.

if I use the phrase "social darwinism" will you know what I'm talking about?  I realize English is a second language for you.

it means might makes right in a social sense.  there is no right or wrong, only who is the strongest whether it's a mob of people like the KKK lynching some innocent black or a people's uprising like Chechnya or the ability of the elite to pass legislation that helps them and hurts everyone else, like say... invading Iran unilaterally.

I mean, might makes right, if you win, you're right.

Is that what your position is - there are no inherent rights to equity, fairness, life or anything else for any human beings?

I'm not sure I understand your position at all.

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

LOL with Iran it's relatively easy - this will hurt them personally, too, and they are smart enough to realize this, therefore war is unlikely - all this assuming they are likely to behave rationally - which could be a false assumption.

Social darwinism looks pretty clear with your explanation, and based on it I am a social darwinist at least in my logical mind - but I have a heavy legacy of illusions in that area that I still have to overcome in my heart. This is not to say that I'm biological darwinist in the part of monkeys being my ancestors tongue

Which brings us to my position  - or rather my Weltanschauung - which I'm not sure I understand yet myself big_smile I have a big advantage over most of the people on this forum - I was brought up at the dusk of the communist Russia. I did not have any religious preconceptions taught to me - except atheism in its most idiotic form - and I started my search for the Lord fresh from scratch. For the last dozen or so years I'm examining all what I see around and read, and trying to make sense out of it. In the last year it all started to slowly come together and form solid pieces here and there, but this process is far from at least partial completion yet.

One of the things that I buy into is that all external is secondary to internal, and in this sense all talks about human rights kind of lose their importance...

Hope this clarifies something, rather than blur... smile

10. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

actually that was quite a useful explanation and also quite interesting.

I don't think we disagree completely about internal first.  I just think our external (actions) are an extension of our internal.  I think maybe we are defining it differently.  I can't tell yet.

And I don't see that religion per se has to enter into the discussion.  Why don't we tackle it on the basis of secular humanitarianism - like Plato's 'agape'.  Shall that work?

11. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Yeah, I think we are pretty close on the internal and external, too. smile

As for excluding religion from the conversation (or rather ignoring the creator) - I'm afraid I can't really say anything meaningful on that terms. "This is my body you eat, this is my blood you drink" - I tend to take this literally. And not only in terms of eating and drinking smile Parting creation from the creator will distort the picture I think.

1. profile image0

hehe, can you clarify your position on religion please?  that part is still murky to me. I'm not picking at you at all, I hope you know.  I just really want to understand.

12. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

I'm old enough to understand you are not picking at me smile

Position on religion? I guess you didn't mean whether christians or muslims are right tongue

Assuming you are asking for a piece of my Weltanschauung, it is still very blurry, but pretty much boils down to  - the world is an attempt of the creator to cognize himself, and as such is contained within the creator. Any and every material, object, or leaving creature is a part of the creation, and , subsequently, the creator - and, as such, resides within the creator...

Well, I'm afraid I have to go now - it's almost 3 am here, and it's time for me to go to bed probably smile I really enjoyed talking to you, and hope we'll continue later...

13. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

bah, sorry it took me so long to get back.

I mean your personal beliefs right now in their state of evolvement.  what do you believe might be true.

so you think there is a creator, some undefined God?

will carry on tomorrow I hope.  smile  sweet dreamz.

14. thooghun profile image94
    thooghunposted 16 years ago

Misha you sound like a mixture of Buddhism and Pantheism hehe

1. Misha profile image63

I don't cut off any religion, but pantheism looks more like a theological principle for me, than a full-blown religion. And yes, the version of pantheism is a part of Buddhism, definitely smile

15. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Idunn,
    Yeah, I think there is, and more likely undefinable than undefined smile

You know, I have a big trouble trying to put bits and pieces together in this reply. As I said yesterday, my system of beliefs is in the process of major overhaul, and I still can't put everything in a clean and non-contradictory order. So I think I will just list some bits and pieces I think are related to this thread smile You don't need to point out internal contradictions in my beliefs if you find them, I'm aware of them, and I'm working on clarifying them tongue

I don't believe there is an absolute good an absolute bad, and I don't believe human mind is able to deal with relative good and bad. However, we can relatively easy tell whether something will hurt or please us, or whether something fits into some established norms or not (in most cases). This is not the same as good and bad.

At the same time I believe good and bad are tied together like day and night, summer and winter, left and right, etc. Day and might combine into a whole day, summer and winter - into a year, left and right - into a whole... I don't know yet into what good and bad combine, but I have no doubt they do - and this makes all attempts to eliminate bad absolutely useless, btw. Same reasoning goes to life and death, too... And to any pair for that matter.

I tend to believe time is relative and everything that was before and everything that will be after is known on some level. At the same time I do believe in the personal freedom of choice - go figure how to combine these beliefs big_smile

Well, this is becoming rather long post smile Let me know if you are interested in any specific question about my beliefs, and I will gladly answer wink

1. profile image0

Ok, compare and contrast, we can start here.

We have different viewpoints here.  Aristotle would say there is a vast difference between pleasure and good.  The old Greek "good" pre-Christianity was like well, like virtue or excellence.  I don't feel like cutting and pasting.  It's not hard to find.  Personal pleasure might or might not be good.  Some people take pleasure out of raping 4 yr old boys and cutting off their heads.  That may be pleasurable for them, but it isn't good. 

To me, the dividing line falls on whether your pleasure damages others.  At that point, it's wrong.  That is actually self-serving in the long view because if we pass laws that protect other's individual rights, we are protecting ourselves.  This is how a decent society works; a society which allows for good health, low mortality, higher quality of life.  By respecting others, we gain in the long run.

I'm not going to type it all in right now though I may have some of it up on old debate boards, but if you can get a book called "The Mountain People" by Colin M. Tumball, it's a good read.  He is a social anthropologist who followed the decline of a tribe, the Iks, that when pushed into difficult circumstances created a situation in which everyone was so self-oriented, the whole bleeding tribe suffered way more than they would have had to cohesively and later almost died completely out.

Yes, all people have the capacity for both, we agree there.  But I think the more people understand themselves and others, and the more they do what is "right", the happier they personally are.  It's good psychology, good sociology, good philosophy and good theology and it's personally good re: personal happiness.  Hard to beat that.

catholic dogma.  moments/time exists perpetually and simultaneously. :p  I agree with you about choice and oddly, that's catholic dogma too. smile

I'm going to guess you're a big Ayn Rand fan.  Am I right?  big_smile

16. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

Misha, thank you so much for taking the time to respond in depth.  And far be it from me to criticize.  I think over time you will find I like imperfection in others, it's makes us human equally.

Can you imagine having to be around a perfect person?  You'd want to kill them and I could tell you true crime stories about just that, but I won't digress.

No, I was just curious.  Do not expect criticism for contradictions and stuff you are working out.  I'm the same in my own way.  Do have the courtesy to extend me the same understanding in our discussion.

Listen, I need to do some stuff, but I wanted you to know I read this and I'm coming back to talk about it. Will be just a bit.

thx,

j

17. thooghun profile image94

Interesting.

We share a similar set of morals it seems. Mine would be intention. To explain, I'd say, if my friend was on LSD and hurled me across the street breaking my leg, but he did it because he believed I was going to be run over: I'd still label it a good act.

Make any sense?

1. profile image0

yepper.  I side with intent also, so we are on the same page, you and I.

and of course that's how the catholic church makes a distinction between venial and mortal sin too, in the catechisms. :p

18. thooghun profile image94

actually, I remember reading three ethic principles, one was Aristotles, one was Utilitarian, and I forget the third. WIll go and scrounge around my papers a bit tongue

(I believe it was  Nietzsche)

1. profile image0

aw, don't go and do a thing like that or I'll have to start going back over my philosphy books to refresh.  sad  You know I think I have every single one of Hesse's books.  yikes 

hehe

let's just bs with what impressed us enough the first time and we already remember.  :p

19. thooghun profile image94

Hehe Hesse.

I remember reading Steppenwolf and thinking "I'm to young"
    I remember reading Demian and thinking "I'm too old"
    I remember reading Siddartha and thinking "WOW!"

I need to re-read that stuff!

1. profile image0

I can't read Hesse without my mind going off into a dozen philosophical tangents.  Yeah, Siddartha ruled. 

If I just sat and read one page I could come out with three poems, an essay or two and.... a headache from over stimulation of my thought processes.

20. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Why did nobody mention The Glass Bead Game?

1. profile image0

are you a big Hesse fan too?

21. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Yep, and this one is my favorite, I tend to think this is one the best books written ever.

OK, going back to good and bad - and pleasure and displeasure. I did not make myself clear over there. I'm not talking about the boundaries of personal pleasure (btw I used to agree with your point of view on this, but currently I'm not sure it is correct). What I'm talking here is that we are able to tell pleasure from displeasure, and even benefit from harm - but we are not able to tell bad from good on the conscious level. That same person cutting the head of 4-year old might be doing a big good terminating the life of future bloody dictator. We don't have any means of knowing this. Does it make any sense?

The same thing with the second part on bad and good - I guess I have to be more precise wink What I'm trying to tell there - bad is inevitable and unavoidable. If there is day - there is night, if there is summer, there is winter. If there is good, there is bad. They are non-dividable. Are you with me?

22. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

ok, on the first point, point taken.  I think to some extent that is so, that it's hard to tell in the midst of some event whether later it shall prove to be useful or unuseful, good or bad.  I've actually had experience with that, so I'm going to cede that point.

on your second point, in a Zen-ish way, yeah I agree there too. 

I actually hope you continue to update us on your journey and which directions it takes.  I admit to being totally fascinated now.

23. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Good, I'm glad we are more or less on the same page here smile

So, if we link this back to the place where all this started - non judging - do you see how non-judging comes from those characteristics of good and bad? There is no way to judge properly cause we can't tell good from bad, and there is no need to judge, cause both good and bad combine into something bigger... That's what I was talking about tongue

1. profile image0

yes and still no.  hehe.  I see your points, and perhaps it will come out some way in the end that it was great for a 4 yr old to be raped and have his head get cut off, or that it's wonderful in the long run to profit off poisoning strangers in a 3rd world country, but I can't get there and I'm not sure I want to.

let's just say your point is clearer to me now and I can find places of intersection.  I mostly debate for compare and contrast and you've been simply lovely in that respect.  thx. smile

1. Misha profile image63

I definitely see your point, too. And while I currently don't share it exactly as you stated it, I definitely did once.

However, the older I get, the more I tend to focus on my internal world and immediate external - like family and friends. And magically this small world does not include people capable of raping a child. I think there is a place for everything and everybody under the sun, but similar people tend to attract each other - contrary to magnets. And every one of us somehow manages to build his own external world that matches his internal world.

In that sense raped children and tribes on polluted lands do not bother me that much - this is their lesson to learn, not mine. I might be presented the same lesson in any one of my other reincarnations, though, and even in the current one - I will deal with it, then smile

24. thooghun profile image94

Yes, Misha I do see your point (regarding the first portion). I don't understand the second part terribly well.

The idea that there is no good and evil, sure.

But judging is also independant from this. I'm having trouble understanding why judging is a non-factor.

1. Misha profile image63

Thoog, I don't remember saying that judgment is a non-factor. Frankly, I don't understand that either. I mean your phrase "judging is a non-factor" tongue

What I was trying to say in the second part is that judging does not get you a tiny bit closer to understanding of what is going on  both in some particular case and in general. Worse, it blurs the picture, and therefore should be avoided. Is it clearer that way?

1. profile image0

I can be in solidarity with you on this one, in a very general way. If that helps.  smile

1. Misha profile image63

Idunn, you are such a pleasure to talk to smile

25. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

misha, we have vastly different histories.  I think that is part of it.  I create a better world all the time for myself and I'm pretty happy now, almost all the time, but I wouldn't be able to do that if I couldn't tell the difference between damaging and non-damaging people and remove the ones that are abusive from my personal space to the best of my ability.

26. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Interesting.

I did not seem to apply any conscious effort to build my world - in terms of picking people who are around me and enforcing it - and essentially ended up where you are now. I'm pretty happy with my family and friends big_smile

Go figure if one should make an effort or not wink

27. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

Thx, I enjoy your posting company as well.

I'm thinking the next thing I want to discuss is the current news on Chavez and Colombia/FARC.  Do you have any interest at all?  I might make a thread for it.  This one has always been a challenge for me.  I'm so tempted to try to justify FARC but they themselves make it rather difficult.  I love the difficult, so it pulls at me.

You in?

28. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

I'm under the stone, you know big_smile

I don't watch TV, and don't go to news sites on the Internet much often. If I remember correctly, Chavez is the president of Venezuela, Columbia is somewhere close to Venezuela and is famous for its drugs, and I have no idea what FARC is.

If such an ignorance does not scare you, I can chime in wink

1. profile image0

FARC started as a socialist political group in Coloumbia and after having their top people assassinated in an attempt at the electoral process went the other way, armed revolution, not unsimilar to the Irish Republican Army in Ireland. 

Problem is, the similarity stops there.  They declared war on the entire middle class, seek rather than curtail collateral damage and ahem, are involved in the drug wars.  There may be some abuses too with child soldiers. 

On the plus side, their struggle (at least originally) is legitimate against a fascist government, but this is a tough one to defend.  It's sooo..... tempting....   to try, just for the debate skills exercise.

I'll see if I can locate my old sources I had gathered.  I hope I didn't destroy them in a clean sweep of old stuff I was interested in.  I might have.  There are some points to be made for FARC too.

29. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

And what is my role? Should I be pro or contra FARC?

30. thooghun profile image94

PRO tongue

31. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

And you contra? wink

32. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

darn that was the challenging part.

why don't we all band together and take pro.  I promise you there will be plenty of people (everyone else!) to take anti which is kind of like shooting fish in a barrel you will find once you read up on them. yikes

we are going to need all the help we can get to try to legitimize these folks for the purpose of good debate.

Misha with your previously stated philosophy on right and wrong, I suspect you will be great help to me on Pro since some of what they do offends me to the core.  :p  that judging thing.

*blush*

33. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

We definitely can give it a try. I'm only afraid they will beat us with stones when they learn about our conspiracy wink

34. barranca profile image76
    barrancaposted 16 years ago

I just tuned in to this thread and tried to catch up with the discussion.  My ethical position is cognitive....that is i do think there is objective right and wrong but i also am a fallibilist, that is that i am highly aware that i can be wrong and make mistakes about reality....so i am always open to being corrected as to the truth of my judgments.  Suspending judgment is a special case of being in the moment of love or on the field of friendship in the eternal present. 

I don't think Bush is going to invade iran....too late, too expensive, no army.  Pakistan is a more likely candidate.  He said the other day...we will be in iraq for 10 years....I think that was the plan all along...to build a permanent military base and a client state in the M. E.  I bet the next president whoever he or she is will likely continue this long term policy.

1. Misha profile image63

Considering the notion that God equals love, your statement is very interesting. Thanks, this idea deserves  some serious thinking through... smile

35. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

barranca, delighted to see you enter the discussion.  smile  smile

I'm in the middle of something atm, but I shall return.  MIsha, on the other, I'll start it as soon as I have time and we can jump straight off this weeks news story.  This will be entertaining.  I'm so happy!

36. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

I don't think I join tonight, cause I'm probably going to bed soon. But I'll continue tomorrow wink

37. barranca profile image76

The FARC question is of some interest to me because i grew up in Colombia....but to be honest i haven't really followed the politics there for many years.  I tend to be contra farc because colombia is, after all, a democracy.  The problem all along has been the vast disparities in wealth and that issue was compounded by the wild sums of money made by the drug dealers.  (I think at one point the drug industry was the largest business in colombia.)  FARC has been a long simmering back woods revolutionary movement.

1. profile image0

*starts early*

it's a legitimate people's revolution with the moral right on their side <------ thesis.

prework, but I'll make a separate thread for this one.  And of course you are correct the background is economic disparity, which is partially what brought it to my attention in the first place.  that and the three IRA guyz that got popped for allegedly aiding FARC when all they were doing was some... ahem... eco-tourism. big_smile

do come in as contra-FARC in the spirit of courteous debate.  at least you get the easy side. :p

38. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

best time for me too.  sweet dreamz.  thx for the contribution to my enjoyable day today smile

39. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image63

This is a little off the topic, but I just want to tell everyone who was involved in this thread how much I enjoyed the entire thing. You are all amazing, intelligent people, and I'm so happy to be in the same community with people such as yourselves. In a thread that could have gotten nasty very easily, dealing with issues like foreign policy/politics and eventually threading out to personal philosophies, the respect and intelligence shown here is something I've never come across on a discussion board. Thank you!

I was involved in this thread early on, but I've stayed quiet since the discussion about good vs. bad, right vs. wrong began, mostly because I'm still working out my own personal belief system.It's reassuring to see that others are still working theirs out as well. I'm guessing it's something that's never really totally figured out---just when we think we understand something, we experience something that makes us re-evaluate our beliefs. But maybe our beliefs are supposed to continue evolving. If they stay the same, we become  dogmatic rather than being active in truly thinking about the important questions.

Thanks for some of the most stimulating reading I've done in quite a while smile

40. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

C.M., you are just in time to be back on topic and I suspect you will be interested.  From today's news:

Bush insists Iran biggest terror sponsor
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080113/ap_ … sh_mideast

"ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates - President Bush gently nudged authoritarian Arab allies Sunday to satisfy frustrated desires for democracy in the Mideast and saved his harshest criticism for Iran, branding it "the world's leading state-sponsor of terror." ...

..."To the people of the Middle East: We hear your cries for justice," Bush said. "We share your desire for a free and prosperous future. And as you struggle to find your voice and make your way in this world, the United States will stand with you."

Bush says that, but I hear this, 'as you struggle to find your voice and make your way in this world, the United States will happily unilaterally invade and occupy your country, kill your civilians, and steal your resources, so bend over in advance, please.'

C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Sorry it took so long to get back here. I hear the same thing you do. He's gearing up to bring the same kind of "justice" and "democracy" to the rest of the Middle East that we've already brought to Iraq. Surely we'll be greeted as liberators...

Just more of the same propaganda, the same beating of the war drums that we've been seeing for months now. The difference is that the rhetoric is coming harder and faster now. It won't be much longer.

Incidentally..I was listening to NPR yesterday, and they had an author who had written a book on the Vietnam war on (sorry, I didn't hear the author/title...I was in the car and only caught the middle) But what piqued my interest was that the author was talking about the buildup to war. He said that, very similarly to what we saw with the Iranian "threat" to our war ships, right before we officially started fighting in Vietnam one of our battleships was supposedly "threatened and harassed" and fired on by Vietcong gunboats, resulting in the Tonkin Gulf Resolution, which officially got us into the war. Interestingly enough, Pentagon files prove the opposite: we were never fired on or threatened. We got into the Vietnam war under false pretenses. Our war with Iran will start the same way.

I just found it ironic, especially given the discussion we've been having here. Vietnam was before my time, so if I got any of that wrong, forgive me smile My point is, powermongers just never seem to learn. They just find bigger and better ways to lie.

1. profile image0

indeed.  neutral

I think you're right.  I hope you're not, but I think you pegged it.

informal discussion, no worries on having to source every darn thing, although if I have it handy I often do as the debate technique of "authoritative source" <---- kind of a cheat. big_smile

Vietnam was a bit before me too, I was a child during the war.  I don't know if you are right or wrong, but it makes sense to me.  Did you catch a picture of that little Iranian speedboat that was supposedly 'threatening' our army?  It was tiny and cheerfully red.  It came off looking in the pic like some partiers on Lake Travis on a holiday do.

With you on the powermongers too.  Good post.

I shan't have much more time today and never worry on delays.  Neat thing about message boards is that we all fill each other's gaps in time and the more the merrier.

C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't believe it. I heard  the news  on  the radio before I saw any of the images,and it sounded like such a big deal. Then I saw the first video footage released. Yeah, those little speedboats were terrifying...  roll

41. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Colleen,

Thanks for your kind words smile Not sure I deserved them, though big_smile I can be pretty harsh online, too tongue

And yes, I too think we learn non-stop, our whole lives, and I'm pretty much sure this is how we meant to be by our creator wink

Back on topic - I still stand by my analysis, until decisively proven wrong tongue But I keep myself prepared to move as soon as it happens, cause if it does, it will be the start of the crash of the American Empire. And I don't want to take part in this crash...

42. barranca profile image76

It is scary how governments can manufacture excuses to go to war when they think it suits their interests.  The comments above about the Gulf of Tonkin resolution are precisely on target as were the "mushroom cloud" comments before the Iraq war and the speedboat incidents and the complaints about IEDs coming from the revolutionary guards in Iran.  I am still skeptical that Bush will be so stupid as to push another war given how expensive and horrifying Iraq has been.  Anyone taking bets on whether a democrat president would get us out of Iraq within a year of taking the Presidency?

43. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

b, I don't have any time at all right now but just a sec to thank you for verifying C.M.'s comments.  I was glad to have someone who knows chime in, since she and I weren't sure.

And no, my bet is that whoever is next President, even a Dem won't get us out of Iraq - not within a yr, maybe not within the whole 4 years. sad   I wish they would, but I don't believe it.

Back laterz, have a good evening all~

44. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image63

Misha---I enjoyed reading about your  still-developing belief system. It's complex, and, as you said, some parts seem to be in opposition to one another---I find that mine is evolving the same way. The older I get, the more I realize that there are very few absolutes in life---there are more shades of gray than simple black and white truths. And, yeah...if war with Iran happens, and I hope it doesn't, we're leaving too. I wasn't really joking earlier about moving to Canada. We're out of here if another  war starts, because it will truly be the beginning of the end.

Barranca--Thanks for affirming the Tonkin stuff....when I was listening to that interview, I just kept thinking, "No way. I can't be hearing this right. We're doing it all over again." I hope it doesn't happen, but I have no faith in our warmongering President and his regime to stay out of it.

I don't think the next President, even if it's a Dem, will get us out of Iraq in their first year. Maybe by the end of their first term, but that's wishing for a lot.

45. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image63

Just saw this, related to the question Barranca raised re: how soon we'll leave Iraq. Good analysis from Daily Kos:

Great.....

46. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

not surprised.

47. renegadeoffunk profile image59
    renegadeoffunkposted 16 years ago

I don't think he will.

48. profile image0
    Adam Yorkposted 16 years ago

I don't think he will. I think there will be a lot more saber rattling before he leaves office. I also think that if Iran does something stupid (war like) that some action would be swiftly taken.

49. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

or if our media says iran has done something, even if it is our government doing psy-ops to create an 'excuse'.

50. Tim Hollis profile image59
    Tim Hollisposted 16 years ago

I see the plan as a declaration of martial law, a possible suspension of elections and then a preemptive attack on Iran. These are vicious war criminals who have taken power illegally.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)