jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is it possible for a collective conscience to ever exist?

1. livingsimply profile image59
    livingsimplyposted 6 years ago

Is it possible for a collective conscience to ever exist?

Thinking of recent events in the world I find myself pondering this question.  I wondered if others have anything to say on it as I ponder...

2. Lynetta Baker profile image58
    Lynetta Bakerposted 6 years ago

Yes I believe that there is a collective conscience,And yes I do believe that it exists.I know that there are a lot of evil things going on in the world.However there are a lot of wonderful people out there that work very hard at making their part if the world a much better place.
    The fact that you are asking that question shows that you are one of them.Just because you may feel alone out there does not mean that you are.Trust me we are out there and you are not alone.

3. The Frog Prince profile image78
    The Frog Princeposted 6 years ago

I have to think as long as individuals are individuals, that the concept of a "collective conscience" will remian a myth.

4. Jangaplanet profile image78
    Jangaplanetposted 6 years ago

I believe that we are all individuals with our own unique thoughts. But collective conciousness does happen to a certain extent. I mean when something happens in the world we all hear about it, we all think about it, when a new invention comes out we all share it ,  and books teach us all the same aspects. So conciousness of these things are shared among us all which creates a collective awareness of what actually is.

5. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

When I think of collective conscience I think of the Borg on Star Trek, all of one mind, working towards one goal with no individuality, or free will.  In that sense, I don't think it is possible...not with free will and individuality lurking about.

6. Timetothink profile image60
    Timetothinkposted 6 years ago

Yes, it exists already and advertisers and psychologists alike group people together so well that one would think that these hundrends of thousands of people in each group were thinking and reacting as if there was one mind duplicated in many bodies.  Their lives and experience has delivered them to a point of such precise similarity that they can be treated as a collective and treated as such in a real world way.  The next time you react to outside influence think to yourself, "How predictable and un-individual is my thought pattern process?"  We run on practically full automatic for most of our day with only mere minutes of individual and deliberate thought.  Most of our so-called decisions are made before we even go through the false process of deliberation in our internal monologue.