jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Government Shutdown: Political Kabuki?

1. ptosis profile image74
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

Government Shutdown: Political Kabuki?

Last timethis happened was in 1995 with the Democrat President and a Republican controlled congress -  SSDD! Furlough the legislators - make 'em come to work for free ....

2. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 7 years ago

I am most interested in the bill just passed by the US House of Representatives where they decided to make the military the only functioning government agency in the US for the remainder of the fiscal year. Historically, such moves do not play out very well. I just know I would not trade living in this century for anything.

3. profile image43
    kadoyaposted 7 years ago

eee did you mean kamen rider kabuki?..............................................................................................................

4. thejeffriestube profile image73
    thejeffriestubeposted 7 years ago

What people seem to forget about is that a government shutdown affects lots of normal, everyday citizens jobs. We're not talking about fat-cat politicians now, we're talking about people in industry that support government operations. In a shaky economy, a shutdown would seriously put ordinary workers that have jobs into a risk category, such as trouble paying the mortgage. Don't lose sight that this has an effect on every small town in America.

5. Wayne Brown profile image85
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

To a degree...the drama helps both parties act out the struggle as a very difficult one and it breeds sympathy for both sides. Soon the American public has forgotten their purpose and the elected ones are back to their mischief. The drama also helps in that a last minute deal brings relief from the suspense although the compromise will leave the Republicans stating that they had to settle for far less than they wanted to save the government.  The smoke and mirrors never cease. WB

working