jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is there a growing intolerance for traditional religions in America?

1. Andi R profile image58
    Andi Rposted 6 years ago

Is there a growing intolerance for traditional religions in America?

Do you think there is animosity towards Christians, Muslims, and Jews because they define only one way to God?

2. someonewhoknows profile image75
    someonewhoknowsposted 6 years ago

If,they try to "Force" others to believe what they believe,yes that is Intolerable.Otherwise,I ,personally would like to learn more about the different offshoots of the "Traditional" religions such as Islam and Judisam.I note that both of them have the word "is" within them which may be the only way to describe God. God ,"is".

As,for religion in general ,I would say it was started by individuals that wanted to be looked up to by the people as a source of knowledge.Unfortunately over the centuries  many of the leaders of these religions have been corrupted.

That's how I see it.   I 'm not a member of any religion ,but It seems there are followers who are "fans-addicts" of all of them.

That doesn't mean they are all that way.Some are truely reasonable people who want to help their fellow man.Others good to church for companionship,and some just to hear the the preachers comments - Interpetation of the bible.

3. Fmfdoc profile image60
    Fmfdocposted 6 years ago

All the arguing and disagreements within my own church and other religions have pushed me away from it. I was born, raised and grew up a roman catholic, but have been losing faith these past few years. I dislike it when anyone tries to force feed religion down my throat. That more I hear and see, the less I want to be involved.

4. AJ76 profile image58
    AJ76posted 6 years ago

I think in America we have a huge issue which is against our constitution. The separation of Church and State. People need to stop saying that in the bible marriage is between a man and a woman. Leave the bible out of it. It shouldn't be involved in politics. The bible also states that any man that lays next to a woman menstruating should be punished for not impregnating her. Then it states to make sure not to fornicate with your sheep!

Everyone needs to keep their religion and beliefs to themselves. It should NEVER be involved in peoples civil rights! Everyone should have the same rights no matter what religion or sexual preference or political party.

5. Wayne Brown profile image84
    Wayne Brownposted 6 years ago

i would not say there is an "intolerance" so much as a lack of interest in traditional organized religion.  Some of the less traditional religions in this country such as Islam and Buddhism tend to attract the curious of mind and those who look for ways to be different in order to draw attention to themselves.  Traditional religion encountered with the Baptist, Methodist or Catholic faiths have suffered a drop in active member participation for a number of reasons. There are many folks in our society who feel that organized religion is far too centered around money and money-oriented projects. All roads lead back to the money. Folks get turned off by that.  Organized religion tends to take some or all of the local money and use it where the national organization sees fit...missionaries in South Africa while the local church member sees hungry and homeless people on their own streets needing the same help. Television ministries have show that there is far too much greed and wealth around men who profess to be men of God and only want to help the little old ladies and the shut-ins of America. In some cases, organized religion has crossed the line to tell me what i must think, what I must be believe....they leave little room for me to think for myself with the all or nothing approach.  Schools have been sanitized of religion, prays are almost gone from public functions...the list goes on and on. On the one hand I can easily grasp why society has turned its head to traditional religion and on the other I see the dangers of a country holding itself together without the glue of religion. WB

working