jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should we allow specific numbers to be illegal?

1. W.W. Wickett profile image36
    W.W. Wickettposted 6 years ago

Should we allow specific numbers to be illegal?

Everything that is digital can be represented in binary. Everything in binary is essentially just a (generally really long) number. If then a trade secret key is required to be digitized, can the binary number representing that trade secret be effectively rendered illegal to posses unless authorized by the owner of the trade secret?

2. Wealthmadehealthy profile image60
    Wealthmadehealthyposted 6 years ago

This is a rather complicated question is it not??   Most people do not understand the binary codes nor what they mean.   Why should any number be illegal??   Doesn't make any sense to me at least.

3. Knightheart profile image75
    Knightheartposted 6 years ago

I am not sure exactly what you are talking about when you speak about trade secret keys, but do understand numbers. 

Our numbering system is known as  Base 10, meaning only the digits 0-9 can be used to make every number.  Binary is Base 2, consisting of 0 and 1.  Computers utilize this system since any number is represented only by those 2 digits...which in computer language is 'on' and 'off'.  The bigger the number, the longer the binary string will be. 

Of course, there are other bases besides our base 10 and binary (base 2).   As for it being illegal to have a trade secret key number digitized in binary code...I really don't know.  No number, in any base can be really owned, but like I said, I am not exactly what a trade secret key is. 

Hope I didn't confuse this issue more!    LOL

4. W.W. Wickett profile image36
    W.W. Wickettposted 6 years ago

Guess I should clarify a little more. What prompted this question was then the key that allowed HD/Blu Ray discs to be played by a player was leaked to the public after it was reverse engineered. The company that owned the key claimed that it was a trade secret used to combat unauthorized use of their products. They argued in court that the key was their intellectual property and since the key existed only in digital form, they therefor owned the number that represented the key.

So my question is basically, do you agree with that line of thinking or would you contend that no number, regardless of what it is an abstract representation of, can be legally owned by a private party.