jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

I really dislike pennies. I think they are quite useless. A penny for your thoug

1. Mr. Happy profile image83
    Mr. Happyposted 6 years ago

I really dislike pennies. I think they are quite useless. A penny for your thoughts?

2. ElderYoungMan profile image77
    ElderYoungManposted 6 years ago

You can mail any you have and any that you come across to me!  :-)

3. kevin.howell profile image59
    kevin.howellposted 6 years ago

A rich old man once told me" a man who wouldn't take care of a penny wouldn't take care of a million dollars". It worked for him.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

It might seem useless when it stands alone, but put it together with 99 of its friends and it begins to have power....just like people.

5. Mr. Happy profile image83
    Mr. Happyposted 6 years ago

Seeing the first few answers I realize the importance of this question in relation to the times we are facing now: a world-wide depression. It is understandable that most people like their pennies, I would say.
    When I asked the question I was thinking in terms of its practicality as a coin. I see a price of 89.99 for example and I know they are holding-off that penny just to influence the buyers' mind. One may be inclined to look at a product priced at 89.99 and think: "Eighty or so dollars is not so bad", when in reality the item is practically 90 dollars (or whatever currency you wish). Pennies don't help as a coin.
    Sure every penny is worth something but it's usefulness as a coin I think is declining.
    Just an opinion. Thank you for your answers.

6. Wayne Brown profile image84
    Wayne Brownposted 6 years ago

It is my understanding that they cost more to make than they are worth at face value. Our monetary situation needs to be simplified just like our tax system. One of the worst perpetrators is the Post Office...they raise the price of postage in odd numbers requiring the use of pennies when it could easily be done in nickels and no one would be the worse for it.  Yes, I think pennies need to go. WB

7. jjackson786 profile image94
    jjackson786posted 6 years ago

Perhaps the government should stop making pennies and give the money they save to us?

8. myi4u profile image60
    myi4uposted 6 years ago

In Malaysia, they have already stopped the use of 1 cent. Every amount is rounded up to the nearest 5 cents though things can still be sold at a price like MYR19.99. However when you go up to the till, the price will become MYR20.

9. Doc Snow profile image96
    Doc Snowposted 6 years ago

They've been called 'the Mediterranean fruit fly of the coin world."

And that was long enough ago that not many people today remember why the Mediterranean fruit fly was such an awful nuisance.

working