Odd Sayings & Expressions

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (50 posts)
  1. profile image0
    TransScribblerposted 14 years ago

We have all heard odd sayings and expressions. Some of the more regularly heard throughout my childhood have subconsciously found their way into my writing.
    I had an Aunt who, upon hearing someone referred to as "she" would respond with "She is the cat's mother."
    Mum always liked dragging out "don't make faces, or the wind will change and you'll be stuck like that."
    Then there are the expressions and sayings such as "Well, you know what they say." No, I don't. What do they say, and who are they?
    What are some of your favourites? Are there any odd sayings and expressions you truly hate? I would love to read and compare them with those that I grew up with.

1. bayoulady profile image68
      bayouladyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mom-"Close the door, you weren't raised in a barn!"   Daddy-"Can't never could". A favorite teacher- 'It's all up to you."  Me-" My get up and go done got up and went."

2. lorlie6 profile image73
      lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

My mother's highest praise to a person was "You're the cat's a**!"  I don't use it often, but I love the phrase.
      smile

3. ajhill09 profile image61
      ajhill09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

my sister always said "i' am so hungry, i can eat the a***  end out of a rag doll". and when mum didn't know what an object was she would say " its a wigwam for a gooses bridle".

2. heart4theword profile image60
    heart4thewordposted 14 years ago

"Now look me in the eye, when I am talking to you." 

"The grass is not always greener on the other side?"

"Be careful of the friends you choose."

"Lord, Help Us!"  "Idle hands is a devil's tool."

There are lots of course, but thought maybe these would help get the ball rollin for you:)

3. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

I remember somone saying "The rule of thumb" which was originally a rule that said you could legally beat your wife with an object no larger than your thumb.

4. Tyrone Smalls profile image75
    Tyrone Smallsposted 14 years ago

All closed eyes aren't sleeping . . .

5. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

The one that irks me is, "You can't have your cake and eat it too."  roll   

I know what it means, and it should really be "You can't keep your cake so you'll still have it, and eat it too."   Or else something like, "You can't save your cake and eat it."

Still, it irks me, because (to me) because I always think, "I can't eat my cake until I have it - so of course, I need to have the cake before I eat it."  Something else I think is, "Well, eating my cake and having my cake are the same thing, as far as I'm concerned."  I think of things like, "Have some tea?"   Also, if I didn't plan to eat the cake I wouldn't take it in the first place!  And the other thing is, the whole idea of cake is to eat it  (otherwise why take it, have it, keep it, or do anything else with it?)

Knowing cake, nobody can keep their cake for too long because it gets stale!  So, to me, that whole saying is just stupid for a number of reasons.  lol  lol   Besides, if someone just takes the saying for what it means and doesn't analyze it, the fact is some people DO manage to both "have " their cake and eat it.   smile

(AND...   I don't even like cake, so it just bugs me that anyone brings up cake at all.  lol  lol  )

1. profile image0
      TransScribblerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Brilliant! Thank you for sharing this with us... and providing a dang good chuckle on a cold winter day! TS.

2. BennyTheWriter profile image69
      BennyTheWriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haha...very nice analysis!

6. Joy56 profile image66
    Joy56posted 14 years ago

where are you where is it a cold wintry day.,  Very hot here in Ireland which is unusual.

You can take a horse to water,but you cannot make it drink.

Many hands make light work.

Look after the pennies, the pounds will look after themselves.

He has made no mistakes, has made nothing at all

I could go on all day with these,.

1. Lisa HW profile image60
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Many hands make light work" kind of conflicts with "Too many cooks spoil the broth", doesn't it....   Or else, maybe a third saying should be, "A bunch of people can poor quality stuff a lot faster."    smile

"Look after the pennies, the pounds will look after themselves" :  No they won't.  lol  Look after the pounds because if you spend all your time looking after pennies the pounds may fly away while you're not paying attention to them."    (maybe that's just my thinking.... )

Then there's, "A penny saved is a penny earned."  I figure, if you earned the penny once you can't earn it again; and if someone gave you the penny you didn't earn it, so saving it isn't going to mean you earned it either.  I say, "A penny saved is a penny saved.  End of story."   lol

1. Joy56 profile image66
        Joy56posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean Lisa, what can you do with this one.,

Old Habits Die Hard.

Joy56  lol   I don't think I can do much with that one.  I pretty much think that ones true.   smile

(Of course, it does occur to me that someone might consider that all habits are old habits - otherwise they wouldn't be called, "habits", at all.   hmm )  Other than that, the only thing else that occurs me to is that might be that it could be changed to, "Habits don't die on their own.  You have to know to kill them."  Or how about the less empowering and less optimistic:   "Forget about changing.  It's pretty much hopeless."   lol

2. Jeff Berndt profile image70
        Jeff Berndtposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Look after the pennies, the pounds will look after themselves"

But some people are penny-wise and pound-foolish.

"A penny saved is a penny earned."
        No. A penny saved is a penny, which is about a seventh of a piece of Bazooka Joe bubble gum.

I always wondered about "falling head over heels." Where do you usually keep your head, in relation to your heels?

Jeff, unless, of course, you're doing either a back-flip or somersault (or something like that) - but that wouldn't be "falling" it would be intentional (and fairly impressive, by the way).  Technically, if you fell (backward or forward), either the back of your head would be level with your heels, or else face would be level with your heels.

Saying someone "fell for" someone else, or saying someone "flipped over" someone else would seem better.  lol     

Speaking of "flipping" - how about "flipped his wig"???    I can guess where that one came (an earlier time and even today in some countries) - but the saying, "flipped his wig" really ought to disappear forever.  Let's not talk about either having our cake and eating it or flipping wigs.  lol

7. Alison Graham profile image95
    Alison Grahamposted 14 years ago

My Mum used to come out with the most amazingly non-sensical sayings, a couple I particularly remember are -

'A man forced his pig and he died'
    'It's like feeding a donkey strawberries'
    'I'm as old as my little finger'
    'You would laugh to see your grannie's backside catch fire'

I could go on - but I won't!

1. profile image0
      TransScribblerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I may regret asking this, but... Who died? The man, or the pig?

1. Alison Graham profile image95
        Alison Grahamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The pig! My mum used to say it when my dad was trying to get us to eat something we didn't like (sprouts I seem to remember!) and she used to say this to stand up for us as a way of telling him we should not be made to eat them!

8. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 14 years ago

You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.

1. rebekahELLE profile image87
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol I used to hear that one too! that's a good one.

don't let the cat out of the bag...

watch that chip on your shoulder..

how about, let sleeping dogs lie..

now I'm on a roll. ha!

9. rebekahELLE profile image87
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I used to hear that one too.

sleep tight... roll

strike while the iron's hot...

grass is always greener... over there..

I don't know if this is odd, but it never made sense to me.

mom- 'don't worry what those kids say, just be yourself.'
    me being myself.
    mom- 'why don't you do what so and so does...??'

xo

10. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 14 years ago

A penny saved is worth two pennies earned (the penny saved isn’t taxed).

And so it goes…

11. Lisa HW profile image60

"You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything."  That one I actually like.

One I really hate is "kill two birds with one stone" - too gruesome, violent, and disturbing (even if it is only a saying).   hmm

12. profile image0
    jerrylposted 14 years ago

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

If you fall and hurt yourself, I'll break your neck!

Speak only when spoken to.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

You're not just whistling dixie.

Another hundred years and you'll never know the difference.

It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Who died and made you God?

13. Lisa HW profile image60

All "fine" (but often questionable) sayings...

How about, "One day we'll look back at this and laugh."  (I haven't yet looked back at anything that made anyone say that and laughed.  It wasn't funny then, and it still isn't funny now.  It probably won't be funny thirty years from now either. )  lol

14. Bloget profile image61
    Blogetposted 14 years ago

"Bob's your Uncle" = "there you have it"

15. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Leant leftist socailists.

I have no idea what that Palinesque term means.

16. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 14 years ago

"There you are and where are you?"

"Don't teach your grandma to suck eggs."

"A stitch in time saves nine." like a time warp?

"And there he was: gone!"

"Little birds in their nests must agree."

"You have to measure your wants by your means."

"If you weren't so Ballymena with your Ballymoney you could buy a Ballycastle for your Ballyholme[sic]."

"Beat that intil ye!" ("bon apetit")

"You might be a pain, but you're not a very good window."

17. Stimp profile image60
    Stimpposted 14 years ago

My personal favorite:  "it is what it is"   OR
    "wish in one hand and sht in the other, see which one fills up first"....use this on the kids daily.

"It is what it is" - that's, I think, the biggest one for professional athletes and coaches when they're interviewed.    That's pretty much what they have to say under most circumstances.   smile

The other one - I've never heard.  (Maybe just as well   lol  lol  )  (I suppose it may have its wisdom, though.   smile  )

18. Joy56 profile image66
    Joy56posted 14 years ago

what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

cast your bread on the water it will return to you many times.

if wishes were horses the beggars  would ride.

19. PegCole17 profile image92
    PegCole17posted 14 years ago

How about these?
    Don't put the cart before the horse
    A stich in time saves nine
    If it were a snake it would've bit you
    If all your friends jumped off a cliff would you think you should?
    I'm more nervous than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs
    I'm busier than a one armed man with the crabs (yuck)
    or busier than a one armed paper hanger
    or busier than a brothel on nickel night

Yikes - I have more. . .

20. Wayne Orvisburg profile image63
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years ago

I think my favorite is "there's more than one way to skin a cat." WHO THE HELL SKINS CATS??  I don't like cats, but I don't skin them.

In what society were cat furs used for anything?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL! yes, that is a weird expression...

21. profile image0

like a one legged man in an ass kickin contest.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

As nervous as a whore in church.

1. Merlin Fraser profile image62
      Merlin Fraserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that should have being; " As much use as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest."

Same as describing someone "as being as much use as two men short."

22. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

In parts of Canada, "the baby is making strange."
    Meaning, the baby won't go without a big fuss to another person.

"What's that for?
    Cat's fur to make kitten britches."
    (I have no idea where that came from but my grandad used to say it.)

"Scattered from hell to breakfast."

"My achin' petunia!"

"Hold'er Newt, she's headed for the corn!"
    (Meaning things are getting out of control.)

...busy as a one-armed jack hammer operator.

"I'll kick your butt so hard you'll have to part your hair to take a crap."
    (Really, I've heard this one a few times...)

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you're right about that expression...didn't realize it was Canuck speak!

23. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

My Uncle Frank:

"That just makes my butt want to drink buttermilk"  I have no idea what exactly he means.  He uses it for all occasions, good or bad.

24. readytoescape profile image59
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

These are a few I have used over the years during my career as an Electrical Project Supt and Manager, mostly directed towards employees and applied as training tools,

“I’m trying is noisy way of not doing”

“I hear better with my eyes”

“Don’t tell me what you can do, show me what you’ve got done”

“There’s the wrong way, the fast way and then there’s my way, and it’s my way or the highway”

“I believe you may have completed your application and been accepted to DTR Electric” (DTR = Down the road)

“Sure we're friends, just not between 6:30 and 3:00”

And my personal Favorites;

“I may be an asshole, but it’s Mr. Asshole to you”

“If you want to be good at your job, learn mine, if you want your men to be good at their jobs, teach them yours.”

1. Jeff Berndt profile image70
      Jeff Berndtposted 14 years agoin reply to this

“I hear better with my eyes”

I love this one.

25. profile image0

Rule #1  The boss is always right.

Rule #2  When in doubt, see rule #1.

26. profile image0
    TransScribblerposted 14 years ago

Listening to the football, I was just reminded of an expression that I truly loathe... "they lead by 20 points to 12." If they did lead by 20 points, the score would be 32 to 12. We can still win. Go the mighty Rabbitohs!

27. europewalker profile image80
    europewalkerposted 14 years ago

There's no fool like an old fool

You can't teach an old dog new tricks

28. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

You probably already know this saying from Anham Land! hmm

"Bladdidlue... Bladdidling... Bladdidblohs!"

29. cally2 profile image60
    cally2posted 14 years ago

My dad used to describe grumpy people as "like a Jack Russel with an ulcer"

30. profile image0
    Rainbow Briteposted 14 years ago

"Two wrongs don't make a right...but three lefts do."
    "Your momma wasn't a glass maker," (which is usually accompanied by)
    "You make a better door than a window."
    There were so many I heard repeatedly growing up, but for some reason I can't think of them now!

31. profile image0
    Rainbow Briteposted 14 years ago

This one just came to me, it was a favorite of my most favorite teacher in high school....any time you would ask him how long an essay should be, he would reply, "As long as a skirt.  Long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to be interesting."  This cracked me up on several levels.  First and foremost, we were a class of primarily female students.  Secondly, the males that were in the class were COMPLETE horndogs.  Third, he was gay, so I'm guessing that skirts (let alone whatever was in them) were of absolutely NO interest to him.  I still lqtms every time I hear it.

32. profile image51
    LovinHKbabe14posted 13 years ago

Has Anyone Heard Of Th Sayings...

"Kepp Your Friends Close, But Your Enemies Closer"
                            Or
    "What You Give Is What You Get"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)