jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can a kid be sent to Juvenile Jail for being home 5 minutes past curfew?

1. mariefromsf profile image53
    mariefromsfposted 6 years ago

Can a kid be sent to Juvenile Jail for being home 5 minutes past curfew?

In San Mateo there is a Juvenile detention center that locks kids up for minor offenses.  Kids from poor families who do not understand their rights are being picked on and taken away.  This is traumatizing for many of these kids.  They come out severely depressed,, and their perception of the world is severely damaged. We need to change this.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5062288_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    MOlmsteadposted 6 years ago

Depends on the kid, and his or her attitude. If the police approach him, and he's an arrogant little jerk they might charge him, I couldn't see a judge putting him in jail though.

3. RaineCarraway profile image55
    RaineCarrawayposted 6 years ago

I don't see this happening in most places. If it is a county or city curfew, it is possible if he is on probation, has a history of breaking the law, or threatens the officer or his parents over it. If it is just a  house rule or family curfew, then the law has no place in enforcing it. I find it hard to believe that a judge would lock up somebody over such a minor offense.w

4. Attikos profile image80
    Attikosposted 6 years ago

If the locality is cracking down on problems in the street, e.g. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is now, he might be jailed overnight just to make an example of him. Best not to test the authorities when they're scared and in suppression mode. You never know what may happen. Make sure you get home on time.

working