jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do you kindly tell someone who is talking loudly on their cellphone in publi

1. Miss Info profile image82
    Miss Infoposted 6 years ago

How do you kindly tell someone who is talking loudly on their cellphone in public to shutup?

In accordance to recent news, some people do abuse talking on their cell phones loudly in public for long periods of time. How would you recommend asking someone to shut up or lower their voices without being offensive?

2. BizGenGirl profile image88
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago

Ask for their phone number so you can text them to "shut up", lol

3. Anne Pettit profile image73
    Anne Pettitposted 6 years ago

If you can make eye contact, hold your hand to your ear in the shape of a phone and mouth the word "loud,"  This works for people who did not realize how loud they were and gives them a chance to be polite.

4. Wil C profile image60
    Wil Cposted 6 years ago

I wouldn't ask them to do either.  I would go to a proximity near them, pull out my cell phone and proceed to engage in a conversation at an even louder level.  This should make them aware that they are being to loud.

5. zippot profile image59
    zippotposted 6 years ago

to be honest its not worth trying , they will be aware that they are loud
    people like that are rude ,I think they are  of lower intelligence and may have limited self confidence. why else would you want to be centre of attention in a crowd of strangers.

6. courtlneygdtm profile image78
    courtlneygdtmposted 6 years ago

Personally, I would not confront someone (strangers) who are talking loud on their cell phone.  Many times they are aware they are talking loud, and simply do not care.  If possible, I would move away out of hearing distance from them. If that is impossible, I would just ignore them as much as I could. Eventually they will walk away, or get served in line and leave.  Regarding giving hand gestures to indicate to someone they are talking loud -- depending on their mood, they may become upset and retaliate by talking even louder.  In my opinion, it is safer and non-intrusive to move away, or ignore the loud, impolite cell phone user. I may not be able to control the cell phone user talking loud on the cell phone, but I can control how I react -- which is to get out of hearing distance, or ignore, until the loud cell phone user leaves.

--courtlneygdtm

working