jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can science and religion work side-by side in our lives? Or do we have to choose

1. Brett.Tesol profile image49
    Brett.Tesolposted 6 years ago

Can science and religion work side-by side in our lives? Or do we have to choose?

I would like to believe in something and do have some beliefs, but it is hard now that science disproves many of the claims religions make.  I find it hard to blindly believe, when facts seem to disprove what is being said.

Yet, equally, there is so much in life that is hard to explain and sometimes seems impossible ...  but, nonetheless these 'miracles' occur regularly.

Some religions refer to God as an energy, which actually does fit with science ... as if God is energy, then energy is a part of us all ... and hence we also can't die, only change our form as an energy after death.

2. gangly08 profile image58
    gangly08posted 6 years ago

I have written a hub about this but in short both take a sense of faith to believe. Neither will ever fully prove the other false but truth should be sought and truth will show itself.

3. Naomi's Banner profile image79
    Naomi's Bannerposted 6 years ago

Actually in the last few years science has proven a considerable amount of the bible to be true. Science has also proven their own theories wrong such as evolution and carbon dating etc. I do believe we absolutely need both. One is based on factual evidence and one on faith evidence. They compliment each other.

4. scauthor1969 profile image64
    scauthor1969posted 6 years ago

I think that not only can they coexist, we need both. Science and religion are two halves of the same coin in our search to explain the mysteries of life. Some religious groups have started to embrace scientific findings. Look at some of the Dali Lama's writings on neuroscience. It is interesting to see where science has validated some Buddhist claims and where science still cannot adequately explain things like consciousness.

5. spanishtoday profile image59
    spanishtodayposted 6 years ago

A choice between research, testing and truth and one of thousands of bronze age myths shouldn't be that difficult.

working