jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is it ok for a country to shut down the nations internet service in the time of

1. Bret Talley profile image61
    Bret Talleyposted 6 years ago

Is it ok for a country to shut down the nations internet service in the time of crisis?

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

If it has to do with power or traffic to protect or service areas of a national disaster, I think they could limit it--but to shut it down really smacks of a Big Brother-ish kind of take over.

3. NorthEast Timber profile image61
    NorthEast Timberposted 6 years ago

Absolutely not.  People have a right to information.  If a crisis is that bad government will also take over the media, and feed us only what they want us to know.  Never ever turn control of information over to someone or something that has an agenda.  Or an entity that is so full of corruption.  Think about it, that's what happens to POW'S, its what cults do, what abductors and abusers do.  They shut off information.                                                     They would also have to shut off cell phones, they transmit information.  When a national crisis occurs who's going to fix it , the government?  Don't make me laugh,  they don't fix crises, they take advantage of them, it's the people, the citizens that fix it.

4. spanishtoday profile image59
    spanishtodayposted 6 years ago

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.... NO!

5. Kadi2428 profile image57
    Kadi2428posted 6 years ago

I think not, people have the right to speak out in a time of crisis and if the government takes that right away you have to the right to speak out against them.