jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Should Pharmaceutical companies review the costs

1. Scarface1300 profile image79
    Scarface1300posted 6 years ago

Should Pharmaceutical companies review the costs

Does anyone think that it is time for Pharmaceutical companies to review how much they charge for life saving drugs. And should they not consider passing some of their profits into Immunizing third world countries for free

2. Stump Parrish profile image61
    Stump Parrishposted 6 years ago

Third world countryies are there for free drug testing for these companies. They test their new drugs on people who don't matter to them. These people will never be able to pay for these drugs and therefore are non-human to these people. These companies also sell their drugs at reduced costs in countries that have universal healthcare. America is charged outragous fees for these drugs in order to make up for the countries that actually give a damn about their citizens.

3. swb78 profile image60
    swb78posted 6 years ago

I don`t think so, I think the problem is regulation and lawsuits. I you invest in a new product your first few years you charge more to recoup your initial investment. The technology industry is the same way, its just that they are not demagoged like the pharmaceutical industry is.

The pharmaceutical industry gives billions in charity that politicians never mention. They also participate in programs for the less fortunate to get high cost prescriptions at about $4.50 a month instead of hundreds of dollars. 

If we could get ride of the straw-man arguments in politics so that people could really discuss the issue, we could probably get some real solutions. Using the police power of government to cause companies to pay more is not the solution.

4. Sethareal profile image77
    Setharealposted 6 years ago

No.

Your question implies that there is a time for this to happen, well all the other parts of society that would bring about the proper conditions for this type of situation need to be present first, and we are a long way from that kind of world.

A lot of cost goes into pharmaceuticals, first you have to pay for research and development for new drugs, and there are time limits on exclusive rights, so many drugs can be made by anyone now without having ownership of the patent rights. Next they have their manufacturing costs and distribution. Then they spend a lot of money in the CYA department to pay corporate lawyers and publicists to handle accusations against their drugs, plus the inevitable court costs, fines, or out of court settlements. Then they have to make sure they still have a product by keeping certain things illegal, such as if you were allowed to grow your own opium then painkillers would be worthless, or if certain hallucinogens were available under the supervision of a certified professionals (psychologists, clergy, etc. who have training) then anti-depressants and anxiety medication would be virtually worthless, so they have to pay a lot to lobby against those types of things.

Then when it comes to immunizing the third world, which countries get immunized and who goes first? No matter what they do they will end up with bad blood from potential investors native to X country that is upset. Then there is the possibility that the native population refuses the drugs as they have cultural beliefs against advanced medicine. Lastly and really the more prevalent problem is the elite few of the leading dictatorship or tribal warlord will steal the drugs and hoard them.

So the answer is no, it is not time for that to happen as the human race is no where near ready to start acting civilized.

5. Daffy Duck profile image59
    Daffy Duckposted 6 years ago

No.  They should go straight to lowering them and quit being so damn greedy.

6. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 6 years ago

I think they should reevaluate their humanity.There are people dying in all countries, 3rd world and more, because the greed of these people and the oil they use to grease political wheels to their own benefit. I think drug companies and lawyers are practically all bottom feeders and rely on one another to continue their sharkish practices.

7. Sembj profile image78
    Sembjposted 6 years ago

Pharmaceutical companies, like almost all corporations, are in the business of making money and increasing their influence and power. They do not see it as their duty to serve the cultures they make money from. Why would they change the way they do business now?

8. munirahmadmughal profile image59
    munirahmadmughalposted 6 years ago

To suggest reviewal of the costs of Pharmaceutical products by reducing their sale prices prima facie seems pleasant but in fact its effect is harmful to the whole society.The reason is that it is the quality in all products which is significant and more so in the medicines specially the life saving medicines.
    A standard price control system may be evolved to check that the cost whereby the quality does not go down plus the profit to the company is assured. To stress on low prices is neither justified nor reasonable.

9. Scarface1300 profile image79
    Scarface1300posted 6 years ago

Stump Parish. I agree with your analogy It seem s obvious that these companies try to gain respect by their offerings but purely for personal gain.

Daffy Duck. I totally agree.

Swb78. Gas, electric companies can be regulated by government why then not pharmaceutical companies?

Bethperry. I agree strongly with you.

Sethareal. When will there ever be time for this to happen. Can we and should we sit by and make this excuse. If we are not civilised and let everything go their way are we not as bad as them?

Sembj. I agree with what you say but the question is do you think it should change?

Munirahmadmughai. I agree on principal on the first part about the quality.  But the quality of medication should go without saying. I am probably very na├»ve but I say it as I see it. But I totally disagree on your final statement. I think that a stress on lower prices is more than justified and reasonable.

working