jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Does the Government have the right to tell you who you can or cannot marry?

1. AlyssaNicole profile image58
    AlyssaNicoleposted 6 years ago

Does the Government have the right to tell you who you can or cannot marry?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5196656_f260.jpg

2. manthy profile image76
    manthyposted 6 years ago

If you are talking about the USA  I say no they do not.

3. AlyssaNicole profile image58
    AlyssaNicoleposted 6 years ago

Any Government. Not just the US, but I agree that they do not have that right. Why and how do they continue to exercise it though?

4. Dexter Yarbrough profile image81
    Dexter Yarbroughposted 6 years ago

It depends. The government DOES have the ability to not allow you to marry a 6 year old. The government should not allow biological brother and sister to marry.

Again, it depends upon who you are marrying.

5. jtyler profile image57
    jtylerposted 6 years ago

No country should have the power to do so save these things:

1) They are already related physically
    2) Both parties are mature enough to be able to make the decision

I recently wrote a hub on same sex marriage if you're interested in reading it.

6. profile image0
    Valoric Fireposted 6 years ago

In the long term this becomes a manner of conditioning the citizens/residents to more intrusive laws and legislation.  In other words, incremental means are a powerful way for governments in ANY country based on ANY ideology to become more powerful by passive acceptance by the population.  After all, you can't reject what you don't readily see, especially concerning subtle changes over extended period of time.

7. Goodpal profile image91
    Goodpalposted 6 years ago

If your government is communist it can ask you to do many things whether you like them or not. But in democratic set up such questions are silly or less than dignified. All humans deserve privacy, dignity, and respect; the governments should be mindful of that.

Please read my hub on "One Child Policy of China" to see how an authoritative regime imposes it dictates on people.

working