jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Should governments fear their people?

1. Loki7714 profile image57
    Loki7714posted 6 years ago

Should governments fear their people?

Or should people fear their governments?

2. Midianite profile image59
    Midianiteposted 6 years ago

Neither. We are floating on a ****ing rock through space - no one should have the right to govern what happens. It is oppression of the highest form.

Sorry, but this subject evokes strong feelings within me and makes me incredibly angry.

3. breathe2travel profile image81
    breathe2travelposted 6 years ago

Respect -- yes.  But I don't think fear is healthy in any productive relationship.

4. elenox profile image60
    elenoxposted 6 years ago

It is important for governments to respect the wishes of the people (as we are a representative republic).  If we want to label that as fearing the people, then I am okay with that way of describing it.  A healthy fear of those who really decide your fate (the constituents) is absolutely essential.
    I think that we have moved to a time when not only politicians feel like they are above the people and are not under the same rules, but also regular people seem willing to accept this understanding as well.  That is not a good combination.  Politicians use the heavy hand of government and the citizens are more and more accepting of that relationship.  Scary.

5. puddingicecream profile image75
    puddingicecreamposted 6 years ago

Respect for their people would be better than fear.

6. Jonesy0311 profile image61
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

In a perfect world, the government should naturally do the will of the people (our will, their hands). Unfortuantely, in America the government has absolutely no reason to fear or respect its people. We simply work our jobs (till the lord's earth) and pay our membership fees (taxes) to live here. The American government is a corrupt Leviathan with an insatiable appetite for tax dollars and power. We lost this battle years ago. If you still feel like you have a say, write or call your Congressman and let me know how that goes. Hopefully, you have better luck than I.

working