jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What do you think the definition of Normality is?

1. loneparentgiggles profile image61
    loneparentgigglesposted 6 years ago

What do you think the definition of Normality is?

It's interesting just how many people use the word normal... This or that isn't normal... he or she isn't normal... they're as normal as they come...

Yet when you ask these people what is normal they flounder... or surprised by the posing of a question like that reply with frustration "well, I'm normal, and you're not"...

So what is 'Normal'... or 'abnormal'?

2. moncrieff profile image79
    moncrieffposted 6 years ago

Normal is what the majority of a particular society accepts in terms of morality and aesthetics. As time goes by, societies change, so do the criteria for normal and abnormal.

3. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

to me normal is what people think you should be in general.everyone has their quirks but the people who behave how society expects, they are concidered normal.

4. Jenny_Leigh profile image73
    Jenny_Leighposted 6 years ago

I believe that there are 2 different types of normality.
    The first kind is what society agrees on as a whole.  It is what most of society has come to accept as what is right or wrong, beautiful or ugly, good or bad, etc.
    The other kind of normality is what each of us as an individual has come to accept as right or wrong, beautiful or ugly, good or bad, etc.
    The important thing is that in order to function properly in society, individuals need to realize what society's norm is and try to not completely differ from that.  I'm not saying to change who you are as an individual.  I'm just saying that for instance, murder is (to society) immoral.  They look at it as a bad thing.  So, if someone goes around committing murders, than they won't be as accepted into society as they might hope to.
    When you asked this question as to what normality is, you said how people will say things such as "this isn't normal" or "he or she isn't normal".  If two people disagree on what is 'normal', then they are probably talking as what is normal for them as an individual.

5. Jonesy0311 profile image61
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

Normal is a bahing white sheep in the middle of the herd. Whatever a particular society generally accepts as prosocial behavior is normal, so it varies widely accross cultures, even different cities and States. For instance, carrying a concealed weapon in Illinois is unheard of, but in New Mexico it's quite common. Normal is boring, you need dissenters in any functioning society.

6. Mandrake_1975 profile image94
    Mandrake_1975posted 6 years ago

Socially "normal" is whatever behavior is considered productive or beneficial for society, by that same society.

Psychologically "normal" is whatever behavior some textbook says is normal, which is usually any behavior which is not self destructive or destructive of others.

Physically "normal" is whatever state you were born in or are usually in.

You will note that often socially, psychologically, and physically "normal" do not necessarily coincide, so "normal" is really just a subjective opinion.  Unfortunately, sometimes that subjective opinion can cause the self and others grief.