jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

Do you think it's about time that gay marriages are allowed?

1. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

Do you think it's about time that gay marriages are allowed?

New York has finally allowed gay marriages, does it make you proud as an American?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

I never understood the obsession that people have with this.  There's two ugly lesbians down the street - if they got married here in Texas . . . .I'm positive that it wouldn't change my life in any way whatsoever.

3. JerryTillotson profile image60
    JerryTillotsonposted 6 years ago

Of course, it's about time same-gender couples should be allowed to get married.  As I discussed in one of my hubs, I don't understand why anyone cares who marries whom.  My great state of Vermont passed a civil union law in 2001 in response to a Vermont Supreme Court decision ruling that same-gender couples are entitled to equal protection under the law and, therefore, are eligible for the benefits of marriage heterosexual couples have.  In response to that, our Green Mountain Conservatives mounted a "Take Back Vermont" campaign and turned at least a dozen, if not dozens, state legislators out of office.  Others removed their state legislative plates from their cars to avoid be targeted by vandals.  Then a few  years ago, Vermont became the first state in the Union to pass gay marriage legislation without a court order.  We have learned to live with it and things are just fine here.

What I find particularly bizarre is what happened in Maine last year.  Maine passed gay marriage and the governor signed it into law.  Unfortunately, Maine has a "peoples' veto" thing on the books and the people ultimately overturned it.

As Alexander Hamilton said to Thomas Jefferson during one of their many debates--"What if the majority is wrong?  What if the majority rules more with its heart than with its head?"

4. jacqui2011 profile image84
    jacqui2011posted 6 years ago

I believe that if you fall in love with someone and want to spend the rest of your life with that person, then you should be allowed to marry the person. I don't believe that it should matter what sex you are.

5. stclairjack profile image83
    stclairjackposted 6 years ago

my knee jerk response is to say "hell yea let 'em get married, they ought to have to suffer like the rest of us! ha!"

but on thinking on it for some time, (longer than most might think) i have to say that its an arguement over a word,....

the conservative side of the equation wishes to retain the word maridge for couples of the opposit sex ONLY,.. feeling that aplying the word maridge to same sex couples would imply an acceptance or moral justification to the arangement that their reliious beliefs cannot allow,...

the gay and lesbian community used to argue that it was about legal status, the right to inherit property, tax status, etc,.. so the idea of "domestic partnership" was introduced. the domestic partnership as it is universaly understood, gives ALL the rights, priviledges, and responsibilities of maridge without the use of the word "maridge",... thereby covering all the legal needs of the same-sex couple... while allowing the conservative to swallow the arangement easier (pun intended)

now it seems that after getting what apears to be an equitable solution, the gay and lesbian community have moved the goal posts to include the word maridge precisely because it affirms their way of life, and they will accept no less.

when the gay and lesbian movement tried to equate thier strugle with the equal rights movement of the 50's and 60's, they were roundy put down by those who dont like to share the terminology of thier particular victim status,... in the same way that the jewish community likes to believe they have a copyright on the word holocost, despite how the native american tribes might argue otherwise, or the people of affrica in this age,...

i personaly dont think it matters any more, we've poluted or culture with greed and narcisism to the point that this arguement seems to smack of swallowing the dog whole while gagging on the flea.

by all means, let the conservative christian talking point parrots thump their chests over the word maridge while they cheat on their wives and let thier daughters fall into debeotchery, training thier sons to do the same,.... yes,... by all means,.... openly defending maridge while silently destroying it will make it all better.

the question itself is a shell game kiddos,... no more,.... no less

6. BizGenGirl profile image87
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago

I think it's about time people stopped fearing same-sex marriage or homosexuality. It's been a part of human nature since the beginning of human existence and it's silly to be so fearful of it.

7. danielleantosz profile image74
    danielleantoszposted 6 years ago

absolutely!  Marriage is a legal agreement between two people and the government should not have a say in who can get married as long as they are both adults.

8. Briana Faye profile image77
    Briana Fayeposted 6 years ago

Of course it's about time!  I only wish the rest of the states would follow closely behind...  Equality and tolerance is always positive in my book.

9. .josh. profile image59
    .josh.posted 6 years ago

I'm not American, but absolutely. The idea that the government can limit who we can or can't marry in a country that prides itself as being the 'land of the free' is problematic, to say the least. I love stclairjack's comment, addressing the hypocrisy of the right-wing argument that they're trying to 'preserve the sanctity of marriage' - have we heterosexuals really done such a fabulous job at preserving it?

My favorite, however, is the 'slippery slope' argument - you know, if we let homosexuals get married now, what's next? Animals? Non-sentient beings?

Please... it's about time...

10. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

I admit that I am very liberal. But I honestly don't care and never have cared about this subject. I just don't see why  agreeing to a legal property division recognized and enforced by the state is so important to some people. Does anyone today honestly believe that getting married deepens a relationship in any way?

11. Cameron D. Briggs profile image58
    Cameron D. Briggsposted 6 years ago

I think people should be allowed to like what they like.  Everybody can think that gay people is the worst thing ever, but in all actuality it really makes no difference who you love.

12. Jonesy0311 profile image61
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

The argument is simple and I still don't know why this is even an issue. The U.S. Constitution guarantees the pursuit of happiness to every citizen. If two gay guys get married tomorrow and move in next door to me, it is in no way going to infringe upon my civil rights. Therefore, there are no legal grounds to deny this right to a gay couple. Does anyone really care?

13. Judi Burton profile image71
    Judi Burtonposted 6 years ago

I like how repubs are so against big government until it has to do with gays and abortion and then they are perfectly fine with interfering. If homosexuality was infectious my gay friends would have turned me by now. Guess what, I still like men. A lot!

14. TicksProfessional profile image61
    TicksProfessionalposted 6 years ago

Definitely. I felt good when being gay was decriminalized in India. As far as gay marriages are concerned I don't see it coming soon but I wish I were wrong!

working