jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

People get so heated about politics...do you think anyone ever knows enough to m

1. danielleantosz profile image72
    danielleantoszposted 6 years ago

People get so heated about politics...do you think anyone ever knows enough to make a decision?

Or are we all just basing our decisions on propaganda and advertising?  Do you think it is possible to truly make an informed decision?  PLEASE don't be rude. I know this is a sensitive topic for people.

2. onegoodwoman profile image78
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

I value myself and my thinking more highly than to think that I am a blind follower.

While not a great intellectual mind, I can bare the minimun of keeping up.....

I can make the distincition of what is good for me, vs, what you wish to sell to me.

While a good speller,  I am not a good typist, and my mind travels faster than my pen...........I do have a basic awareness, and I have to trust that others do also........or else, I am at the mercy of idiots galore.............

Yes,yes, and yes...........I can and have made many good decisions.........and I have made a few bad ones............THIS is how I know the difference!

3. d-richie93 profile image62
    d-richie93posted 6 years ago

Well some people just jump to conclusion at times but for places like hubpages most of the people leaving comments sound very learn`ed.

4. TJBaruch profile image81
    TJBaruchposted 6 years ago

Truth in politics...and in our culture...is an increasingly rare commodity.  Informed decisions are possible, I think, but much more difficult than they were.  The "story" is hyped, spun and packaged by almost everyone from politicians to car salesmen to preachers who insist on telling us NOT what we need to know but what they think we want to hear...and what best serves their interest.  Truth is not a standard anymore.  It's all relative.  ...Your question reminds me of the poet WB Yeats...
        Turning and turning in the widening gyre
        The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

5. danielleantosz profile image72
    danielleantoszposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the responses, I really want to see an intelligent discussion about this.  I only get one "answer", so I also want to ask that people not vote down opinions that they simply disagree with.  I do think it is impossible to make a completely educated decision about politics. Really, you are guessing based upon a candidates "best foot forward".

6. AngelTrader profile image60
    AngelTraderposted 6 years ago

Politics are meaningless, a distraction. It doesn't matter who has been voted in they aren't the ones calling the shots...banks do and in turn multinational corporations.

We are all indentured slaves to banks. Politics is just a big game to provide the illusion that we, the people, do actually have a say in what is done in our name. It is a sham.

The only decision to make is whether we continue feeding the illusion of freedom or not. Which pill will you take, the red or blue!

7. Sam Dolloff profile image60
    Sam Dolloffposted 6 years ago

I think politics themselves are the problem.  We as a people if we were to be able to have a discussion without media bias or party lines being drawn could come to a reasonable solution to some of today's issues.  The problem comes when we must vote between two candidates who have both most likely lied to get the position and made promises that cannot be kept, it is like picking the lesser of two evils.  We as a people should stand up and speak our mind for we are smarter than the government and the media would like us to think we are.

8. jmartin1344 profile image90
    jmartin1344posted 6 years ago

I myself almost never completely claim to know the right answer to a problem or question regarding something serious or political, because as you suggested I don't think we can possibly know everything.  The general public doesn't have access to what the people in charge do and therefore we have to either get into that world and get get involved, or just accept that we may never know everything that is going on to keep our world ticking...

However, when we talk about politics, the fact that we have two main sides, Republicans and Democrats, leads me to wonder if they really know anything at all.  There are two sides...however they both have access to the same facts...so why is it that they ALWAYS come to different conclusions and decisions regarding our welfare?  Is there never just an obvious answer/solution?

The thing is, if there really is an obvious solution to a problem or question based on the information they BOTH have, then this is a disturbing thought because it suggests they are either incompetent or just disagreeing for the sake of being against the opposite side....

If this isn't the case, then the only other reason would be...that the problems they face are so complicated and complex that there may not be a "correct" answer or solution.... and this suggests that they do the best they can and further suggests that we as the uninformed people would have even less valuable say in the matter....

For these reasons I try to just live my life and give my opinion when asked.....I don't waste my time trying to change things that are out of my control, but I concentrate my time on changing the things closest to me for the better...

Don't get me wrong though.... Politics makes for a great social argument/discussion!

working