Asylum Seekers to Australia. What is your view?

1. shamani67 profile image61
    shamani67posted 6 years ago

Asylum Seekers to Australia. What is your view?

Do you support Asylum Seekers to Australia, and if so WHY? These are the people that have the money and try and jump queue. The poor buggars that can not afford it and go by the legal way are still sitting stranded in custody after many years.

2. maddot profile image80
    maddotposted 6 years ago

I support assylum seekers who are arriving by boat. I believe that anyone who leaves their country, their family, their friends and travels such an unknown path must be escaping from something horrific that we can't only begin to imagine. More than 80 percent of the assylum seekers who arrive by boat in Australia are genuine refugees who are eventually given  assylum. Many of them are from countries that do not have an Australian embassy or consulate that they can apply to for refugee status. Many have to leave in a hurry to save their lives and their children's lives. I would pay to save my life and my children's lives..wouldn't you? Or would you wait in line while the bombs go off around you?
    I think we in Australia take our lifestyle and luxuries for granted because we have never had war, dictators, famine, persecution on our we  find it very hard to understand what life in other countries is like eg Afghanistan, Iran.
    I agree that there are many many people stuck in refugee camps in many countries particularly Africa but does that mean we don't open our hearts and welcome those who manage to get here?
    We are a big wealthy country, it seems mean spirited and selfish to turn people away who just want to live in peace without wars and persecution, be able to feed their children, and sleep at night knowing that they can have  a healthy future..just like us.
    We already have the shame of how we treated and treat the Aborigines, let's not add to this shame with another chapter of shabby selfish, cruel behaviour.