jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Could Abraham Lincoln win today's Republican 2012 Presidential Nomination?

1. My Esoteric profile image92
    My Esotericposted 6 years ago

Could Abraham Lincoln win today's Republican 2012 Presidential Nomination?

I will ask this question with a past famous President or personage. I thought it might be interesting to see who knows their history or just their myth.

2. ZIa Ahmed khan profile image79
    ZIa Ahmed khanposted 6 years ago

no, he can not. Only tea party and their lobbies and financiers can win

3. Rock_nj profile image92
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

The answer is "No".  Abraham Lincoln was a raging liberal by middle 19th Century standards.  He wanted to end the conservative establishment of slavery and even took the nation to war to do so.  The conservative establishment today (which is represented mainly by Republicans) would be in favor of continuing slavery, just as the conservative establishment represented mainly by Democrats in the 1860s wanted to continue the institution of slavery.

The Republican Party of the 1860s and in the decade afterward was undoubtably a "liberal" political party by modern political definitiions.  They believed in using the power of the federal government to bring about dramatic change to end slavery and then to impose the will of the federal government on the Southern states during reconstruction.  Much has changed in the Republican and Democratic parties since then.

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

A lawyer for the railroad industry with no formal education, who cracks jokes, is politcally savvy, yet has almost no politcal experience in DC or anywhere else?--Absolutely! (He even served briefly in the national guard, if the rest didn't convince you)

5. stanwshura profile image75
    stanwshuraposted 6 years ago

I sure as hell hope not!  His is a biography and legacy I truly respect, even if terminology (minus "whigs", "confederacy" and so forth) have come to mean a politics, ideology, governmental function and culture that assigns the political parties names that are 180 degrees away from what they meant some 7 score and odd some years ago!

6. IntimatEvolution profile image79
    IntimatEvolutionposted 6 years ago

No.  He isn't attractive enough and his wife's physic readings and stuff would never fly with today's public.  They'd think she was too looney.  Funny how that has all changed from then to now.  We are far more judgmental these days.

7. My Esoteric profile image92
    My Esotericposted 6 years ago

Not a chance, none of what Abaraham Lincoln believed in fits in with the Tea Party/Conservative ideology.