jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

The American Justice System...do you have faith in it?

1. DimitriLive profile image60
    DimitriLiveposted 6 years ago

The American Justice System...do you have faith in it?

2. Nspeel profile image76
    Nspeelposted 6 years ago

Simple and to the point.... HELL NO!!!!

3. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

I can't say about America, but I'm in the UK (Scotland) and it's an absolute NO! Many of the rulings and judgements here makes me think many of the so called fountains of wisdom we call judges are basically bloody nutcases!!

4. Jonesy0311 profile image61
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

i used to; back when I was patriotic and naive. Now, in my senior year as a Criminal Justice major I have realized that there is no reason to have any faith in it. You should hear how police officers and lawyers talk about the justice system. It's abysmal. There are actually rules in place, such as Federal Evidence Rule 404(b) and the exclusionary rule, which require that the whole truth not be known to the jury. Basically, the whole system conveys the facade that justice has been served. Justice...not the truth. The defendant has far more rights than any victim. It's a terrible system. Hell, it's not even a system...or a network...it is a non-system conglomeration of legislators, police, and correctional officials with conflicting goals all fighting for funding.

5. docbruin profile image83
    docbruinposted 6 years ago

It is broken.  The ideals behind the system and the reality of the system in action are two different things.  The court system is an overwhelmed production line of cases. Despite the fact that the American justice system is broken, it is still far better than the "system" in places in many other countries.

6. profile image47
    newlife53posted 6 years ago

I have faith that the truth is never known.  I have been involved directly with someone whose entire life was ruined based on an assumption.  Cost him personally thousand of dollars,his career and ability to earn an income based on someone's opinion.  The prosecutor charged as many crimes as he thought he could get away with when only one real crime had been committed.  Carrying a concealed weapon (truly was just a senior moment) cost my friend his job, his career actually, his life savings and his pride. The accuser never even was allowed to testify as his testimony was so weak. The truth was never allowed to be told as the cost to his health and well being was too high.  Shameful tactics used by the prosecution (or persecution, you be the judge) and the press...this is not what this country was founded on.
    Jonesy0311 has it right..I worked in the correctional system for over 20 years...

working