jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What actions can you recommend to reduce your carbon footprint?

1. MazioCreate profile image73
    MazioCreateposted 6 years ago

What actions can you recommend to reduce your carbon footprint?

I recently registered with the organisation www.1millionwomen.com.au as a way of setting goals and putting into action steps to help our planet and future generations.  Once you register you have access to a calculator this displays the amount of carbon you will be offsetting by undertaking some simple actions e.g. turning off appliances on stand-by.

2. goraiasish profile image65
    goraiasishposted 6 years ago

Use vegetable-based and biodegradeable cleaning products
    Use recycled wood chips to keep the weeds down, retain moisture, and prevent erosion.
    Borrow seldomly used items such as ladders and chain saws.
    Put leaves in a compost heap instead of burning them or throwing them away.
    Install water barrels to collect rain water from troughs. Place a small bucket in your sink to collect water when washing produce. Use this water in the shower.

3. MazioCreate profile image73
    MazioCreateposted 6 years ago

Thanks goraiasish for the tips.  I'm already doing some of these but like the vegetable-based cleaning products idea.  I'm yet to buy water tanks, but they are on the list.

4. Mikalyn profile image56
    Mikalynposted 6 years ago

Collecting and reusing rainwater is a great one.

Make sure that you're buying locally! Even better, start an organic garden and produce food for yourself.

If you have a garden, install a system that directs rainwater to it and reduce the amount you have to water.

Supplement what electricity you consume with alternative, clean sources by: replacing outdoor lights with solar lights; installing a few solar panels or a solar system to supplement power to the home.

Install or open the blinds on any south facing windows during the day to reduce the work your heater must do to keep the temperature up.

working