What are you doing to reduce your carbon footprint?

1. tritrain profile image85
    tritrainposted 7 years ago

What are you doing to reduce your carbon footprint?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4808070_f260.jpg

2. Paul Kohler profile image60
    Paul Kohlerposted 7 years ago

My biggest task has been in reducing my electricity usage, I have been able to get my monthly Kwh from an average of 800 down to mid-300's every month. This has been done by making sure all air-leaks had been sealed, adjusting my thermostat on my furnace, every lightbulb is a CFL, I even got rid of some light fixtures that weren't 100% needed. All my electronics are on surge protecters which get turned off every night, when I leave home, and when I will be away from the room for more then a few minutes.

I compost almost everything, from paper to dryer lint and hair. this keeps most everything from the landfill.

I grow a lot of my own vegetables, what I don't have I buy locally from organic growers.

I no longer commute to work, by working from home I have saved 60 miles per week round trip.

When I painted my house last I only used natural paint, so there was almost no Voc's

I recycle everything I can, unfortunatly my community doesn't accept a wide variety.

These are the biggest ways I try to reduce my footprint, if you want anything else please let me know

Paul Kohler

3. Doc Snow profile image95
    Doc Snowposted 7 years ago

--Changed out the lights to CFLs, even a couple of the new LED units.

--Minimal use of AC, wood heat.  (Yes, burning the wood releases carbon--but it would have been released anyway as the wood decays, and possibly some of it as methane, which is a more potent GHG.)

--Got more economical cars.  Try to plan trips for gas efficiency.

--Cut down meat (meat is about  10x more energy-intensive than vegetable foods.)

--(Almost) always use reusable shopping bags rather than throwaway plastic ones.

--Got an electric mower to replace the gas one (though I kept the gas one as backup--and since at least some of our regional generation capacity is coal-fired, I'm not sure the electric is actually better, carbon-wise.  Though it COULD be, if we cleaned up electric generation.)

--Trying to come up with a plan to eat more locally.

working