Why are hovercrafts not used by the military in Afghanistan?

1. jeffreydjm profile image78
    jeffreydjmposted 6 years ago

Why are hovercrafts not used by the military in Afghanistan?

If hovercrafts can be used to navigate safely over land mines and other pressure plate explosives, why have NATO forces not employed the use of the craft for counter-IED forces in Afghanistan?

2. YellowOC1 profile image64
    YellowOC1posted 6 years ago

A lot of ground equipment can survive IED blasts, so hovercrafts are not necessary. The problem is unarmored Humvee's and the like...

3. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

Speaking from experience, I will tell you that none of that fancy gadgetry you see on Future Weapons ever makes it to the grunts on the ground. Military leaders are very much set in their ways and you cannot pour new wine into old skins. As an infantry Marine, I never got to play with any of the new fancy stuff. Rather, I had decades old body armor and a matching m-16. Sure, they let us experiment with it in training, but you never see it in theater. Of course, we cannot ignore the fact that the more complex a piece of equipment is, the higher the failure rate. We can't even get reliable radios, so i doubt that anything more complex will get deployed for a while. The brilliant people who engineer this stuff are nowhere near the front line. instead, you have a bunch of grunts who have no idea how to fix something once it breaks.

working