jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Will the USA still have the same kind of government in the year 2112?

1. ptosis profile image72
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

Will the USA still have the same kind of government in the year 2112?

USA, though a young country, has the longest democracy in history. Will it still be here as we know it in a hundred years?

2. maxoxam41 profile image75
    maxoxam41posted 6 years ago

Was it ever a democracy? The people are realizing more and more that the U.S. always favored the establishment. Yourself, you referred to an inappropriate and unfair collegial voting system.

3. Josak profile image59
    Josakposted 6 years ago

American democracy is fine a system where dumb people vote in dumber leaders who abuse the rest of the world. Seems about right.

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

democracy is a play of words. look at all the new laws that terrorism cause in the US and one has to ask if it still exists there. sure one the outside it seems to be the same but in reality, freedom is a thing of the past. if you don't believe me, try phone a friend and talk about bombs, the whitehouse and destruction in the same conversation. do it 2 or 3 times and see what happens.

5. ptosis profile image72
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

maxoxam41 appears correct. Whatever it'll be in 100 years  - it will be as different as what it was 100 years ago. In 1912 the 1907 plan for a Federal Reserve was not incorporated yet until 1913.

If Wilson had not been elected, we might have had no Federal Reserve Act, and World War One might possibly have been avoided? No WW1, no WW2.....

6. Mike Gulett profile image58
    Mike Gulettposted 6 years ago

I believe that the US will still be the greatest democracy in 2112. However, there needs to be many changes. The first is that we need to have checks and balances on the power of Congress. I think we need term limits for House Reps and Senators and we need an independent oversight of congress from an ethics point of view. They are not doing an acceptable job of policing their own ethics (the fox in the chicken coop comes to mind).

I think term limits would help with the political gridlock we seem to be stuck in. Maybe each member of Congress gets only one term of say 4-6 years for House Reps and 6-8 years for Senators. Also, maybe the President should only have one term of 6 years.