jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How would you define your ethnicity?

1. brittanytodd profile image91
    brittanytoddposted 6 years ago

How would you define your ethnicity?

I was raised in Hawaii, where my family has lived for over six generations. An ancestor of mine was a Portuguese man disguised as an English man when he jumped off a German ship and swam to the shore. He became one of the major land owners in Hawaii and ended up assimilating into Hawaiian culture. Although he was Portuguese, I know little about that culture.  I have light skin, but I relate to Hawaiian culture. I often define my ethnicity as Hawaiian and get a lot of flack for it because of the color of my skin.

What is your ethnicity and would people be able to guess by looking at you?

2. Cara.R profile image76
    Cara.Rposted 6 years ago

I am an American, born and raised in New York with Italian ancestors. I have been mistaken for Hispanic however it doesn't bother me. I get more flack from having Italian ancestors than being Caucasian. I've hear things like. "You don't want tomatoes on your sub, aren't you Italian?"  I was just in college and it bothered me then but now I laugh at it. Sometimes, (eye roll) people look at things and people and try to put it in their mental cubical by labeling or trying to figure out something that really makes no difference but it makes some people feel 'safe'.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

As Cara.R. says, American, fourth generation Californian, German-English ancestry--I think.

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

My dad is British; born in London and moved to the US. My mom is American, but descended from Danes, Irish, and British people. I would describe myself as being of Northern European stock.

5. athena2011 profile image56
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

Caucasian for sure. Half Irish, half Scottish but with other stuff in there too. I've been mistaken for being Welsh. I think people could guess from looking at me.

6. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

I am Dutch, Irish and German... which explains my fondness for beer, I guess.

7. Jay S profile image58
    Jay Sposted 6 years ago

I would have to say that I'm either a mutt or Heinz 57

8. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 5 years ago

I am an African-Cherokee-Italian-and I don't know what in the hell else-American.

working