jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can somebody make a racist comment, but not actually be a racist?

1. Spencer Camus profile image64
    Spencer Camusposted 6 years ago

Can somebody make a racist comment, but not actually be a racist?

There have been accusations of racism recently, in football (soccer), with one player having made comments to another regarding their race. Whilst these comments might have been made in the heat of the moment, undoubtedly designed to offend, does it follow that this person must be a racist? The act should not be left unpunished or defended, but should the character of the man be written off and he condemened forever? Sort of two questions in one, but both getting at the same thing. I would be interested in views!

2. Cassie Smith profile image68
    Cassie Smithposted 6 years ago

Yea, that can happen.  There was a situation between a much older black school driver and a white high school kid from the suburbs on a schoolbus.  The kid said the N-word to the black driver and meant it as slang, the way two black kids would say it in the hood.  The white kid had no understanding of the word's context and history.  Anyway, the black driver was so pissed that he slammed the kid against the bus windshield.  I don't think the white kid meant it in a racist way but the black driver took it that way.

3. Grime Remix profile image61
    Grime Remixposted 6 years ago

I think it's very common for racist comments to be said from someone who is not a racist.  In the case of professional athletes I consider that a position in which it's not allowed while on the field.  Their level of influence is high and they're expected to be competitive and fair.  The player should be fired completely even for a little slip.  Not because he's racist, which I don't think he is, but because of the standard he's held to.

4. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 6 years ago

I believe it’s possible for a naive person to have slip of the tongue for example one could say “I have relative that likes to go coon hunting” in the present of some Afro-Americans and as you can see that statement could be viewed two different ways.

We the people are ourselves part of the problem because we can’t have a respectful relationship when we are not willing to place any restrictions on ourselves.  Some of us can’t wait to tune into many of these Shock Radio stations where they have no problem flooding the airways with racist slang and insideful hate.

If known hate groups are on their soap box instilling hate into the minds of people the first thing we want to say is “I might not agree with them but I believe they have a right to preach that hate.”

We alone decide what kind of society we’re going to have by what we will allow.

5. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

of course you can. i've told black jokes to friends that are black and white jokes to friends that are white. it's when you actually get stupid enough to think one race is better or worse then others that you become a racist.

working