jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why do people feel sympathy towards single dads, but not so much for single mums

1. dadibobs profile image60
    dadibobsposted 6 years ago

Why do people feel sympathy towards single dads, but not so much for single mums?

Is it because single mums are much more common?

2. otsipaku profile image81
    otsipakuposted 6 years ago

Probably single dads are more rare. If something does not happen so often, more attention by public. Single moms are quite common, so, maybe people are used to it.

3. profile image0
    kate-olsonposted 6 years ago

Are you sure this is the case? It's no different in my mind.

4. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

Women have been historically expected to fill the role.

Consider this:   ALL child abuse is wrong.........

yet, when we  hear of a little girl being sexually abused, we think " poor little thing"

but when we hear of a boy being sexually abused..................we are ready to  hang the abuser............

each of them are children..............

but, historically, women ( little girls ) have been taught to " grin and bear it".

Boys/men are encouraged to settle the score
    Women/girls are taught to accept it and not make waves

Sickening, isn't it?

5. dadibobs profile image60
    dadibobsposted 6 years ago

I agree completely, sterotypical labels are wrong, but i have to admit my wife is the much better parent then me. I know i'm a good dad, but she's a great mum. I don't know if my kids lives would be as good without her involvement. I can't speak for other women, but she's a better parent than me.

6. Simba73 profile image74
    Simba73posted 5 years ago

I am a single Dad brinning up my seven year old daughter on my own, and I feel that there is a mix of perception in society towards me normally from women, as all the men I encounter say fair mate !!! I could not do that !
    The women are split into two groups from my experience, the first and most common is the kind of "oh that is so beautiful, you are a wonderful father "
    The other which is not very common but I'm sure I will face it for all of her childhood is the group that feel I should not be doing it and it will be detrimental for her development.
    But all groups ask the same question .......what happened to the mother, which I know is seldom the case for a single mother, there seems to be no mystery in this scenario as the man/father must be bad, but women find it hard to except that this could also be the case with their gender.
    But on the whole I receive a huge amount of sympathy,respect and compassion from all that realise I'm brinning up a child on my own. And I don't knock it back either ha !! life is tough as it is and I have an army of family neighbours and freinds that are always offering to help, as well as a phone full of the other parents at her school to help out in an emergency, which makes life a lot more comfortable and I love brinning her up as I know with me she is safe, she loves it too !!!
    I am a very happy man my daughter is very happy and we will journey though this world together.