jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Should life imprisonment mean for the rest of your life?

1. dadibobs profile image60
    dadibobsposted 6 years ago

Should life imprisonment mean for the rest of your life?

You cannot say something is for life if it's not, that's false advertising, so why does life imprisonment mean 25 years?

2. Ian Dabasori Hetr profile image81
    Ian Dabasori Hetrposted 6 years ago

Misrepresentation. It should really not be that. Its just 25 years right! Not untill the person dies in prison.  Crazy thinking and doing humanity shows at times.

3. dadibobs profile image60
    dadibobsposted 6 years ago

I agree, if the sentence is not life, then why call it life?

4. chspublish profile image81
    chspublishposted 6 years ago

I'd love to answer your question clearly, that is, with a definitive answer of some kind or other. The difficulty lies in my uncertainty around the whole notion of imprisonment. However I'm guessing you would like some answer based on the reality of imprisonment as it stands.
    In that light, therefore, let me say if 'life imprisonment' means the rest of your life, then certainly it should mean that. Otherwise there is but confusion in society and those who have to face that kind of punishment, probably in advance know, if on committing a crime, that they won't have to serve the full term, but only a portion of it. That can't be a strong deterrent, though I doubt that those who have criminal actions on their minds think in terms of being deterred. Enough for now. Thanks for the question.

5. dahoglund profile image82
    dahoglundposted 6 years ago

I tend to agree with you, however there is much I don't understand about sentencing. Maybe we do need a "truth in sentencing law."

6. Rob Bell profile image75
    Rob Bellposted 6 years ago

Yes, build more prisons. Make them do more work and pay something back.

7. Marc Babineau profile image76
    Marc Babineauposted 6 years ago

Yes. 25 years should be 25 years, and life should be life. But, without the eligibility for parole, the thugs then start committing violent crimes against other inmates and even guards, because they have nothing to lose. The longer their time, the more danger they represent to the jail's population - so, they should have jails for 25 years and more, and those for under 25 years.

8. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

It's just the wrong title.  It's hardly ever for life.

9. Bella Nina profile image73
    Bella Ninaposted 6 years ago

Uh, yeah.  I would stop there, but HP won't post my answer unless it's long enough.  My answer is still uh, yeah.

10. Express10 profile image89
    Express10posted 5 years ago

I don't like the toying they do with sentences. If someone is sentenced to life, I believe that life should mean for life.

working