jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

In good times, should wealth increase proportionally among economic groups in Am

1. My Esoteric profile image91
    My Esotericposted 6 years ago

In good times, should wealth increase proportionally among economic groups in America?

Meaning if America is experiencing expansion, like from 1993 - 2000, should each economic group benefit roughly equally?  For example, if the economy as a whole improves 10%, should each economic group improve around 10% as well?

2. Credence2 profile image80
    Credence2posted 6 years ago

Not necessarily, it is usually expected that upper income groups will benefit the most, don't they always? But lower socio-economic groups must enjoy some substantive level of increase in wealth if we really want to say that times are "good". The period described from 1993-2000 was a good case in point. The rising tide lifted all boats, but the most affluent reaped the most..

3. Josak profile image60
    Josakposted 6 years ago

Ideally they should but the reality the lower class allways gets screwed.

4. Grime Remix profile image60
    Grime Remixposted 6 years ago

Powerful question.  Honestly I think wealth should increase according to an individuals smart idea's paying off.  Be it a job, small business, or investments.  It's not going to be an automatic process or gift nor should it be.

5. My Esoteric profile image91
    My Esotericposted 6 years ago

Agreed Grime, Credence, and Josak, but what I am wondering is if, as a group, each economic group should rise at about the same rate as the others, in other words, "should" the lowest economic group, in a fair society, benefit as much from the good times as the top economic group?

Economic mobility, which is what Grime is talking about, is a different question with a different, I suspect, answer.

6. Ameritopia profile image76
    Ameritopiaposted 6 years ago

Most business's that practice this "profit-sharing" methodology are very successful, and I feel running a country is like running a business...therefore, yes is my answer to your question.  Of course that assumes they are legal, civil, tax paying citizens.

7. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years ago

Not necessarily.  The wealthy will always see their money grow faster than the poor, and for the poor, often their wealth rarely increases.

8. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 6 years ago

No, simply because that is impossible to achieve.

Now if a society has "rulers" who take it upon themselves to ensure that everybody receives the same "10% raise," then that's a different story.