What factors account for the increase of nationalist and hate groups in the Unit

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

What factors account for the increase of nationalist and hate groups in the United States at the

present time?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8169370_f260.jpg

2. d.william profile image74
    d.williamposted 10 years ago

Since my comments regarding the perils of religions in our society causes many of my comments to be censured, i will attempt to answer that question in a manner that is the least offensive as possible.
    The greatest negatives that influence our society in general stem from hatred, intolerance, bigotry, distrust of others, and much more, are rooted in the fundamental teachings of an erroneous belief system that most religious philosophies embrace as some kind of absolute truth.
    This video will explain in detail why these teaching are more harmful to society than they are beneficial:  http://youtu.be/JoZW5JQ0AE4. 
    There is no other explanation, other than the fallacious beliefs that somehow the Devil is involved, which is the main theme in defending those belief systems that primarily harm society as a whole.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
      Ralph Deedsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nearly all religions foster divisiveness, and extreme fundamentalists encourage hatred and terrorism.

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 10 years ago

I am not sure the number of such groups have increased. I just think they get more publicity than they use to, so it seems like more. Also, some hate groups are really just one person pretending to represent a larger number of like-minded individuals.

gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

THEY are increasing in number and they are dangerous.  I saw a program stating that there are many such people who are unaffiliated.

2. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 10 years agoin reply to this

gmwilliams, I did not say there were not more nationalist and hateful people in the country. I said I did not think the number of organized groups had increased over the years. The number of hateful people is a different story.

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

I'm not sure if they're growing or not, but I've noticed more and more young people (as individuals or small groups) showing hatred toward people. This is a generalization and I know it doesn't apply to a large portion of the population, but ... To me it seems kids aren't being taught to respect their fellow human beings. When I was growing up, a lot of people talked about who they hated and what they were going to do to "fix the problem" (whatever they saw as the problem). Today, more young people act out on their threats. Is it the parent's lack of training their children? Are the kids being influenced by such things in music and movies? I still haven't figured it out.

You are so right.

5. LandmarkWealth profile image67
    LandmarkWealthposted 10 years ago

I haven't seen any stats that suggest they are increasing in numbers.  But then again I haven't looked.  But in hindsight the Blank Panthers assassinated 13 NYPD officers in one year back in the early 70's, (one was my uncles partner...Officer Phil Cardillo rest in peace). And groups like the KKK were marching all over the place just years before that.  So I am not sure if the numbers are much worse or not.  But it's hard to imagine anything worse than the race riots of the early 70's

If they are, I would personally link it to the lack of assimilation in our immigration process.  When my grandparents came to America, they were not well received by many ethnic groups.  Particularly the Irish.  They weren't permitted to get their haircut in certain barbershops.  They couldn't get jobs in many areas because of their Italian heritage.  If you walked through an Irish neighborhood, you might leave in a body bag.  This landed my great uncle Pete in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. 

But my grandparents made sure all their kids spoke English first.  They self identified as Americans first and foremost.  They embraced every aspect of American culture.  Because regardless of the discrimination they faced, it was still better than the facist regime they fled in Italy.  And eventually their kids and grandkids became just Americans.   Today, we don't require or even expect people that come to our country to embrace American culture or even require they speak English.  So often you'll see second and third generations that still identify their culture as the place where their parents came from.  That is unhealthy for the society, and people don't assimilate.  They get isolated in their own cultural communities, and they view others as outsiders.  And hence those outside their community look at them as foreigners, even after they've been here 2-3 generations.  It breeds mistrust and resentment.

Living here in NY you see this more than most places.  I hade to drive into Flushing Queens a few months back.  You can't buy a pack of gum there unless you speak Korean.  And it's been like that for decades.  It's crazy.  When I was a kid, many people spoke Italian where I lived.  But they all spoke English.  And they all saw themselves as American first.   So, I wouldn't doubt that their could be a rise of groups that identify along ethnic and racial lines.

1. Borsia profile image40
      Borsiaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I saw some stats showing a 70% increase over 15 years

2. LandmarkWealth profile image67
      LandmarkWealthposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Could be...I don't know.  But the violence here in the US is nothing like the race riots of the 70's.

3. Borsia profile image40

The highest point for violent crime was 1980 & 1990 going by the highest crime rates. But organizations / groups dedicated to hate have risen

4. LandmarkWealth profile image67
      LandmarkWealthposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am talking specifically about race related riots and the chaos of the 70's...cop cars getting overturned...entire city blocks set on fire. 13 cops assassinated in one year. A lot of it was unreported because it was such chaos.

5. Borsia profile image40

Yes we had huge race related problems when I was in high school in the early 70s. In many ways it ruined the high school experience for everyone. There were at minimum 2 riots every year and tensions all the time. That was in CA. Much worse elsewhere

6. GNelson profile image60
    GNelsonposted 10 years ago

I would have to talk to these groups to answer your question but here are some thoughts about how these groups form. 
    Modern technology makes it easier to form a group and to communicate with your followers.
    We live in a sound bite world.  Very few actions are truly explained either by government, individuals, corporations or hate groups.  Justifying hate is a simple process of putting together a few sound bites.
    Individuals today do not take the time to reflect.  I hear the same arguments from different people all the time or I should say the same sound bites.  They haven’t thought about what they are saying, they just repeat what they heard.  Reflection requires time alone and an open mind both are hard to find in today’s environment.
    When was the last time you saw a child lying on the grass and watching the stars come out, talking about whatever comes to mind?  Today they would be texting friends, even the one lying next to them.

7. mintinfo profile image63
    mintinfoposted 10 years ago

My opinion is that society has reached an idealism buffer where one particular culture that had spent centuries assimilating others finds itself about to be overrun by the ideals of cultures that it failed to properly assimilate. This dominant culture is now in a process of circling the wagon to try to protect its remaining ideals. However, I fear that the Melting Pot has already fallen off the fire and must be rescued by a new form of thinking or succumb to the flames of eternal racism.

8. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

A large part of it has to do with the Federal Government's complete lack of enforcement of immigration laws. There are now something like 25 million illegals and they want to make it worse with another amnesty bill. America is rapidly becoming a 3rd world country.
    In the very near future the US Dollar will loose its status as the international currency standard, the writing is n the wall for anyone willing to read it.
    Another is that immigrant groups, especially illegals, make no attempts to assimilate to US society and go so far as to expect the country to coddle them.
    Add to that that the dominant races are becoming the minorities and you have lots of room for hatred to grow.
    As others have mentioned technology makes it easier to find like minds and form groups.
    Perhaps the final plank is the general downfall of the country as a whole and the collapse of virtually all manufacturing and blue collar jobs.
    The majority of the hate group members come from this sector and they have been hardest hit by the influx of illegal immigration and, being the least educated, the easiest to gather by the techniques used by organizers.
    Right now the country is a powder keg looking for a spark.

What you have said is true.  With jobs being downsized, computerized, and/or sent overseas, blue collar jobs are more adversely impacted. Many of those who rely on such jobs see their world disappearing, they are THE NEW poor.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)