jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

How tall are you? Does this affect others' perception of you?

1. toys-everywhere profile image60
    toys-everywhereposted 6 years ago

How tall are you? Does this affect others' perception of you?

I'm a little over 5 ft, and most people who meet me use two words in common with most other people who have met me: they say that I am "cute" and "sweet".
    Admittedly, I am moderately good-natured and caring, but it seems to me that my height has something to do with my being, "cute". Children are cute because they are small, and most average-sized people seem to find shorter adults (when they're nice people) to be "cute" as well. I believe it may have a correlative relation with a proportional perception of others. What do you think?

2. KrystalD profile image80
    KrystalDposted 6 years ago

I am 5'1 and 3/4 smile I have always been told I look young which I take as a compliment (I am 28). I work with children and I did find teaching middle school demanded me to be firm. Otherwise they confused my kindness and maybe my size as youthful weakness. These days I am rarely called "sweet or cute." I have a deposition that is confident and sometimes serious. People tend to judge me by my character versus my size these days.

3. Austin Dawursk profile image58
    Austin Dawurskposted 6 years ago

I'm 6'3" ish and people find me usually intimidating but I'm a nice guy.

4. relache profile image90
    relacheposted 6 years ago

I'm 5' and if there's one thing that's remained consistent perception-wise, it's that people tend to think I'm much younger than I actually am.  That sort of sucked when I was young but now that I'm older, it's sort of funny and occasionally fantastic.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

I'm 6 foot 6 and a half inches tall. If I had a nickel for every time someone has asked me "Wow, do you play basketball?" I'd be a rich man. (and no, I have no basketball skills whatsoever. Haha.)

6. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I am totally average height at 5'5" - I used to be 5' 5 1/2"  ummmm, old age shrinkage I guess.  My height has never been an issue in any way, it is just too average I guess.

7. xethonxq profile image64
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

I'm 5' 5" and I don't think my height impacts others' perceptions of me. I think the way I carry myself does though.

8. mikejhca profile image91
    mikejhcaposted 6 years ago

I am 5'3" and fairly skinny.  People often think I am weaker and lighter than I am.  When I was in my 20s people often thought I was a lot younger.  They thought I was young enough that I was still growing.  I had to show my ID a lot and did not get a job once because the guy thought I looked too young to teach adults how to use computers.  I was also ignored once at work by a customer that wanted to be helped by an adult.  People still think I look younger than I am but it is partly because I try to stay in good shape.

Taller people tried to pick on me a few times but I did not have any trouble getting them to stop.

9. Aaron_Perks profile image80
    Aaron_Perksposted 6 years ago

Well I'm 6ft 6 and I wouldn't say people have a different perception of me. I am quite a loud person and an extrovert! Most people just refer to me being just a bfg! Big friendly giant!

10. Kebennett1 profile image61
    Kebennett1posted 6 years ago

I am 49 years old and 4'9" tall! I have heard those two words all my life! OK, so I'm "cute and I'm "sweet", but I am also intelligent, a good Mother, a good Wife, a fair writer smile, well, you get the point! People treat me like I am much younger than they are BECAUSE I am much shorter than they are! I used to feel inferior and had a hard time looking people in the eye, but now I bend my neck back, look up and make eye contact and make sure that I am heard for who I am, not what I look like! I am not a cute, sweet child! I am a beautiful, caring adult!