The Greed Monster Raises It's Head-"The Insurers"

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

It appears the Health Insurance Industry is taking off the gloves and preparing to battle for Their profits or else!

All this past talk about working with the government to help with reform to "help" Americans and lowering costs was just a ploy to get the American public to turn against a Competitive form of Insurance being developed. Whether it comes from a Gov. run (I sure hope not!) or another Group/Exchange with over-sight.

The Health Insurance Industry is now out to guarantee their Increased Profits. Insurers want the Mandated Health coverage for ALL Americans. You have No choice but to Buy coverage. They are upset at the thought of lower $$$ penalties for those who cannot afford to buy Insurance (money in their pockets). Throwing out dollar figures out how they Will raise premiums to outrageous amounts if they do Not get their way!

Guess they are having a little problem buying all the votes they need for legislature to make it Law you Buy insurance, so now lets take the Mafia route! You will or Else!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091012/ap_ … l_insurers

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

And yet others are still blaming Obama for this...

Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean. The Health Industry is corrupt. They have fought off reforms in the past and now they smell blood in the water and will go after this in a way to Raise costs instead of lowering costs. We all will lose. They distracted everyone from the main issues. Health Insurance and Costs for Care will increase! We will end up being Taxed/penalized for those not throwing their money to the Industry.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I saw a documentary on Tommy Douglas last night and his introduction of health care to Saskatchewan. The same fear mongering and rhetoric was tossed around then. (Yes, he was called a fascist and a communist smile ). The doctors even went on strike and a child died; the doctors were soon seen as the bad guys. He stuck to his guns and we now have national health care. Today you will find hardly any politicians, and even some conservatives, calling for it to be dismantled. Fixed yes, but not done away with.

This really doesn't have anything to do with this thread. I find it hilarious that nothing has really changed...

4. Michael Willis profile image68

A change of the workings of our Health Insurance Industry will come after all is said and done. The problem I am seeing is...the people will not be the winners in this. The Industry wins and gets Richer!

5. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

"They are upset at the thought of lower $$$ penalties for those who cannot afford to buy Insurance"

That statement doesn't concern you? The flipside to that is we will be forced to purchase health care or pay a price. Yeah, thats Obama's fault!

6. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Oh please! Obama wants to generate savings in health care by eliminating profits from the health insurance all together! This is like the "windfall" profits attack on oil companies. Health insurance profits of the big HMOs are around 4%, compared to Microsoft which is like 24%!! All of us, whether we are individuals, or whether a corporation, work for a profit. How much profit is fair and just?

Look if you're going to say the insurance companies 4% profit is what's driving up health care costs, then you MUST attack tort reform as well which contributes at least as much to the problem.

Tort reform should be a part of the change.

1. tksensei profile image61
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But it won't.

7. Michael Willis profile image68

A texan...this is a concern! We will be forced to buy insurance if the Insurers get their way! The Insurers are now trying to force the issue of Mandated health care coverage to everyone, whether you can afford it or not. Will this bring down the costs? No, they will have the ability to raise rates as high as they choose and they will.

1. magdielqr profile image59
      magdielqrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree.

2. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you think these lawmakers are not profiting from the insurance companies? Real reform would come in the form of a President declining to sign ANY bill that forces people to buy insurance, you know, kinda like keeping lobbyists out of the administration and maybe just maybe acting in the best interest of the people.

I agree! Politicians are looking for ways to serve their own interests ($$$) in this as well as the Industry. The ball right now is in legislators court to come up with a plan. They are the ones we all should be shouting to about what we think on the subject instead of just attacking Obama. Like him, dislike him. I think people should be more focused on Congress than Obama at this point on the health care issue.
        Congress is handling this right now. Guess we will have some decisions to make come next Congressional election time. I know every one of them in Arkansas are being targeted. I do expect to see a brand new look to Congress very soon.

1. profile image0
          A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can't separate Obama from this congress, they are one in the same to me. Congress will have a different look in 2010 and Obama better recognize the signs!

8. Michael Willis profile image68

I remember the pitch from the Auto Insurance industry about how the premium costs would be lower if it was law  for all drivers to have coverage. It would protect everyone.
    See what happened there. It is harder to get a claim paid. They keep raising rates. I pay more than double than I did before it became law!
    It would be the same with Health Insurance.

9. Francis911 profile image60
    Francis911posted 14 years ago

insurance policy always thinking of profit.
    this is bad.

10. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

This is a huge mess with no simple fix. The first thing that should happen is a cieling on costs so we can review every aspect to weed out excesses in the current system.

I agree with you on that. But, the Insurers will fight that also.

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Damn! It's gonna be a mess!

Yes it is. I saw the ABC News evening cast about this and it sure is getting people riled in Washington already.

11. Michael Willis profile image68

From Arkansas we have 2 in Congress trying to take a lead role with the Health Reform isssue. Mike Ross (with the Bluedogs) and Blanche Lincoln (0n the Senate Finance Committee.)
    Ross and wife owned a Pharmacy and Blanche Lincoln worked her way up to where she is the hard way. You would think these two would look to help their own people over the money of the Health Industry.
    They have not from what I have seen from here, our local TV, newspapers and online. Arkansas is ranked 48th in Health Care coverage in the U.S. So where is their expertise in handling it on a National level when they can't even help in their home state? They can see how bad the situation is here. They can see how a mandated law for coverage will cripple people here.

I will say that Ross has done the most to hit the townhall meetings, but he will do what He thinks is best. (yeah, right...for who?) And Ms. Blanche Lincoln, well she did call us Arkansans uneducated and unpatriotic for not following along with her ideas she shared with Congress. She  may have apologized After it was on TV...but...she has already done the damage.

A little detour...but had to get that out there. lol

As long as it is Not Law to buy the Insurance, we will have a choice and the Freedom to choose for ourselves the coverage, the care, the price, the Doctor and treatment we want.

12. profile image57
    SKNX3posted 14 years ago

yeh mostly! Lol

13. Niteriter profile image61
    Niteriterposted 14 years ago

According to Health Reform Watch, the CEO of Aetna, Ronald Williams, was paid $24,300,112.00 in 2008. How many cancer patients could receive their much needed therapy if this guy was thrown out on his ear? There are thousands of qualified, educated, civic-minded people living in the United States who would gladly (and successfully) operate Aetna for 10% of William's salary. Maybe the concept of human compassion needs to be introduced into the US health care discussion before the country's regular citizens (many of whom argue for their own demise on here) get run over.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)