If you were president for 1 year, what would be your biggest priority? And why?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. pingthis2012 profile image58
    pingthis2012posted 6 years ago

If you were president for 1 year, what would be your biggest priority? And why?

A lot critic them, but what would you do if you had the power?

2. Wayne Brown profile image84
    Wayne Brownposted 6 years ago

That is an easy one...shrinking the physical size of the federal government in terms of people and expense; getting its tentacles out of the daily lives of its citizens and pushing more and more of the process downward toward the local level through strengthening state's rights positions while at the same time admonishing the high courts for their attempts at legislating laws from the bench which should be enforcing the ones which have been created.  Once government begins to shrink, many things start to occur which ultimately bring a positive light to our society and our economy.  At present government is growing because that growth is being justified by all the so-called "good" that a big government can bring to the table...lies, all lies. WB

3. pingthis2012 profile image58
    pingthis2012posted 6 years ago

wow @wayne! Run...no...SPRINT for presidency!!!! You got my vote!!

4. mkeith profile image57
    mkeithposted 6 years ago

I concur with Wayne Brown.  He has the entire right of it.

5. profile image53
    wim99posted 6 years ago

Following the main priorities of the Obama administration will be tough, but someone can do it. In order to compete with other countries on a bilateral agenda of world affairs, I would lean towards healthcare. Fixing the healthcare situation would enable Americans to better serve themselves and others. Privatation is good, but all Americans deserve a healthy body, mind, and spirit, regardless of cost. Hey, spend that last trillion dollar bailout on the people's healthcare, because medical costs are only rising.

6. junkseller profile image82
    junksellerposted 6 years ago

Revamp the corporate tax code, eliminating loopholes and subsidies to large corporations. Double tax rate on the rich and capital gains tax. Double minimum wage. Smash monopolies. Progressive corporate tax code favoring small business and start-ups. Repeal Citizens United. Eliminate lobbyists, insider trading, and earmarks. Plain language single agenda legislation. Publicly funded elections including extra assistance for additional parties. Develop a program to eliminate fossil fuel use by 2050 that would include phasing out personal automobiles and building compact nodal cities with regional scaled energy, waste, and water systems. Slash the military. Legalize drugs. Forgive all student debt. Open the border with Mexico and legalize all illegal immigrants. Tax churches. Strengthen the UN and examine all of our international relationships to confirm they are in compliance with fundamental human rights. Repeal PATRIOT Act. Eliminate Dep. of Homeland Security. Hire Wayne Brown to squish the power contained in agencies such as the Dep of Energy, Education, and HHS back down to the local and state level. Expand, protect and rejuvenate national wilderness areas. Pass a law strengthening the freedom of the Press that disallows discriminating who can access government meetings and officials and guarantees the confidential relationship between reporter and sources. Amend the constitution to include privacy as a fundamental human right and allow that to extend not only to one's data but also to one's genetic material and DNA.

7. Brett Winn profile image87
    Brett Winnposted 6 years ago

Restoring government to it's constitutional boundaries and repealing the laws that have eroded our liberty.

8. coast2coast79 profile image60
    coast2coast79posted 6 years ago

Hmmm...Its not an easy answer. So many things need fixing. I wish it could be as easy as saying "I would improve the infrastructure and create jobs" Unfortunately it's not that simple. I guess I would convince Americans that we need a complete overhaul in congress. I would strive to outlaw corporate lobbyism, disolve superpacs and limit campaign contributions to 100 dollars per individual. Businesses and corporations would be forbiden to contribute to any candidate. A country where all citizens are given a fair chance at representation would be my legacy. I would leave all the other problems to the next man or woman in office.

Corporations do not deserve the same rights and protections as people. They are not capable of remorse for bad behavior. A corporation cannot go to jail for crimes commited against the people. Because of this, cash penalties such as fines have become just another cost of doing business. I would try to change all of this.

9. feenix profile image58
    feenixposted 6 years ago

If I were president for one year I would have three big priorities and they would be the following:

(1) Effectively command the U.S. Armed Forces.

(2) Effectively manage and oversee the conduct of U.S. foreign affairs.

(3) Constantly issue orders to Congress to effectively address the nation's internal problems and affairs.

10. tigerbaby777 profile image84
    tigerbaby777posted 6 years ago

Firing half the government, at least! 
    I would begin that at a state level. I live in Idaho where our population CANNOT afford to support all the reps we have for each little town and village. Its insane.

Then I would reduce the number of lobbyists allowed to beg and bribe to get bills passed. Basically reduce the tax payer debt of supporting these people for life by limiting their retirement. I don't think a person deserves full retirement bennies for four years of service.

Go back to Reganomics:  Reduce Government, limit welfare, don't allow social security and welfare for illegal immigrants, get legal then apply! 

A year wouldn't be long enough darlin.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)