Should the government take measures about supermarket capitalism in the UK?

1. chivs86 profile image79
    chivs86posted 5 years ago

Should the government take measures about supermarket capitalism in the UK?

What I want to know is what peoples opinions are on the UK Government not taking action about companies like Tesco's opening up stores on small council estates.  I myself think this is wrong when it effects other local businesses and in the worst cases to the point that they can't compete.  My idea would be a kind of radius restriction which makes this illegal, but obviously I realize that there's always two side to the argument and I just wanted to know what others thought.

2. RighterOne profile image60
    RighterOneposted 5 years ago

In as much as I am against Big Brother government, in this case I would have to agree. A government's prime directive is to protect the Life, the Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness of ALL its citizens.

The conflict arises when one citizen (or group of citizens, such as a supermarket chain), in an effort to 'pursue happiness,' starts to encroach on one or more of these same rights of another (such as a small business owner).

By monopolizing retail in a particular neighborhood and driving many small business owners out of the market, the corp execs are encroaching upon the pursuit of happiness by these business owners and their families, and then by trickle-down, the rest of the populace.

This is when a government has an absolute DUTY to step in and intervene on behalf of the victim(s). As to how exactly it should be done - that's open to debate. I like your idea, but I'd have to think a bit more to propose my own. Good question...

working