jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Would mankind be better off if all the nations were sovereign or if we had a glo

1. D Shannahan profile image78
    D Shannahanposted 6 years ago

Would mankind be better off if all the nations were sovereign or if we had a globalized society?

All the different nations and cultures throughout the world all have their own pros and cons within their own systems so I wonder: As a human species, would we progress more is all the nations of the world were separate and sovereign or, would we progress more if we had a uniform global society? 

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6217377_f260.jpg

2. algarveview profile image88
    algarveviewposted 6 years ago

I think a global society would never work, because there are too many differences, cultural, political, religious, economical, between nations. It would be something doomed to failure. Much like the EU, in my opinion. By the end of the 20th century globalization was an important trend, but soon after nationalism started appearing here and there and much as an answer to this trend. It was the other side of the coin. People rebelling against standardization. It is human nature to defend their differences, so people in general would not take kindly or lightly a central government and standard rules. At the same time there would always be regions trying to run other regions, on account of oil, on account of money, on account of interests. Groups of regions with same interests would soon get together. Politics is about interest not equality and globalization is suppose to have some sort of equality as basis, otherwise it wouldn't work, as actually can't work. So, going down a globalization path would probably just end up in chaos and war, when the courtship period would be over. That being said, I think we are better off with sovereign nations. Very interesting question, a lot more to be said. If I have the time, will sure make a hub about it.

3. profile image0
    Phoebe Pikeposted 6 years ago

I think if we socially joined together it would improve life, but the world cannot handle the same system for every country. Each region lives differently and to have a government system for the entire globe could destory entire countries because the people would either gain more or less freedoms. When a country changes for more or less freedoms, it can cause some major issues. If it were to happen, it would need to be done very slowly... each country would want their form of government to be the global standard, and that's just not possible.

4. Doc Snow profile image96
    Doc Snowposted 6 years ago

I don't think there is a blanket answer for this; the devil is usually in the details.  And, for that matter, it's possible that there would be winners and losers if there were some form of global government:  maybe US citizens would be worse off, but Somalis would be much better off, or something of the sort.  Then you have to decide which good is more important.

working