Looks like the worse of we are the better off the Corporations are...

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 11 years ago

Recovery in U.S. Is Lifting Profits, but Not Adding Jobs

“So far in this recovery, corporations have captured an unusually high share of the income gains,” said Ethan Harris, co-head of global economics at Bank of America Merrill Lynch. “The U.S. corporate sector is in a lot better health than the overall economy. And until we get a full recovery in the labor market, this will persist.”

read the full article
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/04/busin … .html?_r=0

Ok when does it all crash? Seems to me you are killing of the customer base or am I just totally Naive on this subject?
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7758780_f248.jpg

2. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

Running a business isn't just about how much money you have in the bank. There is no forward-looking stability, how are businesses supposed to plan for the next 10-20 years when they are facing the certainty and/or possibility of tax increases, regulatory increases, dealing with Obamacare, the constant devaluing of the currency by the Fed, rates being held low for who knows how long...

Businesses need stability, they need to know that the government is on their side for the long haul. They currently have none of that.

1. Zelkiiro profile image87
      Zelkiiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this
      1. profile image0
        Justsilvieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Everyone should look at this Video, it will clear up a lot of misconceptions or downright fibs.

2. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What you said has nothing to do with what I said.

Business and business owner are not the same thing.

2. profile image0

people love to quote from the constitution so I will too.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

I do not see anywhere here or in the whole document that says that government should be on the side of business in fact before government took some control, they actually could work you to death without so much as a "thank you for you service".

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What in the world? Did I say anything about the Constitution? No.

Government should be on the side of business because without businesses there are no jobs. As I have demonstrated before, demand ultimately comes from the producers, the entrepreneurs, the creators. Consumers are simply the vehicle for that demand.

Spiderface, that's what happens when you demonize businesses.

2. tillsontitan profile image83
        tillsontitanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it was the unions that did away with working people to death but nobody wants to talk union anymore.

1. Josak profile image61
          Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Totally, it was the unions which gave us our rights, that protect us and ended employer tyranny and who continue to fight for working people's rights who are responsible for the bad things happening to working Americans tongue excellent logic

2. profile image0

I do support the idea of Unions but I think some like other organizations wind up corrupted by the power.  I also think they inflated wages way beyond what should be paid for the level of skills in some instances which then made businesses back off and look for states with right to work laws. 

However I think we are seeing what happens when companies take control and no one really speaks for the worker. We backtrack to less or no benefits, lower wages, more work per employee which results in less quality and a much less of the work ethic we were famous for. The only positive thing is profits are increasing for the Corporations and that sounds pretty much like we are headed to where started a century ago.

1. tillsontitan profile image83

I agree Silvie, like so many other things in live Unions became corrupt and lost sight of their true goals.  An honest union is a man's best friend, a corrupt union is pretty worthless to the common worker as he turns into a pawn not the objective.
            We can only hope it stops before we wind up with sweatshops again!

2. rhamson profile image72
            rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This has all come to a race to the bottom. How low can employers pay and increase production? The corporations found a gold mine overseas to bolster quick and gigantic profits with the slave labor provided to them by unskilled labor. Add to that low or no restrictions towards workers safety and health and they got a win-win situation.
            It is no wonder that with stagnant wages and the Americans dire need to work with little or no benefits the corporations are eyeing the return of some of those jobs while continuing to demonize unions and regulations.
            If the corporations can continue this trend the American worker can look forward to shorter work weeks to get around the regulations and Obamacare and be satisfied with a little rice and rat meat in their dish for dinner and the bicycle ride to the train station the next day. It's what you can expect when you equalize the standards of living in a global system.

1. tillsontitan profile image83

While I think, and hope, you are being sarcastic rhamson, I also think you are right.  It is time America closes its doors (commerce-wise) and goes back to making its own products with no imports and exports...ten years of that will either cure us or kill us.

1. rhamson profile image72
                rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My sarcasm is perhaps too close to reality as far as I can see. Congress is trying to reduce promised benefits where they mismanaged the funds and labor is being paid less and less for more work. The stock market is totally speculative based on inflated values of cash they trade at record amounts. There is no substance to the modern business model of buying slave produced items and selling them at inflated values to people it is beginning to subjugate.
                I wish I were not so negative about the outcome of this Globalization but it is beginning to show its results more and more each day.

3. tillsontitan profile image83
    tillsontitanposted 11 years ago

Businesses may need stability but if the consumer doesn't soon get stability there won't be anyone left to buy what businesses are selling!

1. profile image0

We share the same mindset!

4. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Stock market also just had its best day ever.

Which is nice for trust fund babies, but for ordinary people?

Sigh.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)