jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why don't other races in America stand up for their fellow race the way African

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Why don't other races in America stand up for their fellow race the way African American do?

A white women is targeted and raped and we say "how sad". A hispanic man is robbed and murdered we say "how sad".  An indian is killed when his gas station is robbed we say 'how sad. An African American teen is killed walking home and people gather in the streets for his justice. In my area the majority of these people are fellow African Americans supporting the family. So why don't we as a people stand up for others in this way? We have thousands of cases of justice not being served daily. Rapist being let free. Why is there not more support for others?

2. FlowOfThought profile image62
    FlowOfThoughtposted 5 years ago

As long as everything goes according to plan, the most horrific things can happen and no one bats an eye. Being racist, and killing a kid for being whatever race they are, clearly was no longer part of the plan. admittedly. I stole a bit of this logic from a movie, but it makes sense to me, at least.

3. Peter Leeper profile image81
    Peter Leeperposted 5 years ago

I think it is circumstance of the crime and not the race that lends itself to the support you refer to particularly the most recent example of Trayvon Martin.  He was allegedly shot down by someone who was on citizen watch and was told by police not to follow.  What happened after that is up for the courts to decide but it looks like an overstepping of justice and pre-judgment driven vigilanty behavior based on appearance.

Your examples for whites, hispanics, and Indians, although horrific and tragic don't sound like they were driven by the fact the victims were these particular races.  Black on Black crime is a huge problem often going un-reported and noone is gathering in the streets for those crimes.

Some would claim that whites have the entire news media working on their behalf when something tragic happens like a kidnapping or murder.  I remember people holding vigils in the Casey Anthony case that had nothing to do with race but about finding justice for a CHILD.

I think sometimes we as a society look for reverse racism where none exists which is kind of what I am garning from your question.  Is that correct?

4. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

I want to make clear that this question is not a play on words. I am not implying any racism and I actually wish all crimes would gather the same media and community support. Not implying reverse racism at all! I have been a victim of racism myself most of my childhood since back then having a hispanic father was not common.

5. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image86
    Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 5 years ago

I don't think we can all go out on the streets and march for every crime committed.  The point being made, I believe, with regard to Trayvon Martin's murder is that justice is not being served.  The man who killed Trayvon Martin has not been arrested.  A trial will not go forth unless he is arrested.  If he's innocent, let his peers decide in the constitutional way.

In a general answer to your question, though, as to why other peoples don't stand up for their peoples the way African Americans do, I think generally they do actually.  But we must also be aware that the African people have the most terrible history of abuse by Caucasians than any other people in the Americas.

Thank you for your thought-provoking question.

6. EinderDarkwolf profile image60
    EinderDarkwolfposted 5 years ago

Just to put my two sense in here, I think what makes this crime more abhorrent then others is that the police know exactly who did it, and refuse to arrest the person. They won't charge him because it's a case of he said she said and the opposing party is unfortunately dead and unable to defend himself. This is what has incited people into trying to force action on it.

I'm not saying that the other crimes are not bad, and I'm certainly not saying that those families don't deserve Justice. If no one has been arrested and police are not doing their jobs, then these people need to come forward and let the public know. If the public knows about it, then it's more likely that they will step forward to help.

As to Justice not being served daily, we have people who get off scott free in the courtroom. They survive the trial and there isn't anything we can do about that personally. It's the one's that don't ever seem to be touched that I think we as people need to let each other know about then. Only then can we try and make sure Justice is served.