jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Have you ever not known how you would buy groceries?

1. breathe2travel profile image81
    breathe2travelposted 5 years ago

Have you ever not known how you would buy groceries?

Times have gotten tough across the United States, and the world.  Have you ever gone through a season where you did not have the finances to buy milk or had to literally collect change to pay for a gallon of gas?  Where you literally did not know where your next dollar would originate?

2. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

Yes I had a couple of places like that in my life where I had to choose between keeping the power on or buying groceries.  Fortunately that is no longer the case, but it is indeed a humbling experience and one I have never forgotten.  I am thankful I had that experience because it taught me to value what I have and to make the most of the blessings I've received in life.

3. profile image59
    geordmcposted 5 years ago

YES, I have recently. I now get food stamps but for a while I had to scavenge to eat.

4. David Warren profile image81
    David Warrenposted 5 years ago

Thankfully not in the past few decades but I can certainly identify with the question. Brings back memories of pushing shopping carts home in the snow in Buffalo, New York many years ago. Wasn't easy in those days, working, going to college, buying diapers and formula, and juggling the bills.

5. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Yes, I had a time in my life where I never knew how I would eat. I aged out of foster care without a home, job, or any help. Thankfully I caught on quick and have not had to live like that in a long time. Now I do what I can to help others who need food.

6. rave1432 profile image59
    rave1432posted 5 years ago

Yes, I have literally not eaten for a week waiting on my paycheck. and that was in 2009. Times are worse now, but I have my woman and my family, so I do any thing I can not to let that happen again. Times are very hard for someone with a bachelors degree in my town. Every job wants one now.

7. profile image0
    Sergeant Pariahposted 5 years ago

Yes, it was also around the same time I couldn't afford the gas bill. Of course it was in the middle of winter, luckily I was able to keep a fire in the fireplace. I spent most of my time huddled by it. I didn't have a job so I read and ate Ramen noodles.

8. Caitlin Pyle profile image82
    Caitlin Pyleposted 5 years ago

Wow, no I haven't. But thinking about this question makes me really grateful, but also really guilty for ever worrying about money. Our income is pretty low right now, but we have enough saved and two sets of willing parents that help is just around the corner should we ever find ourselves in that sort of pickle.